Macbook Pro Rev A 2006...Time to upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ramo, Nov 16, 2010.

  1. ramo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    #1
    Hi Guys

    I know this question has been asked before, but I wanted to see if anyone with similar scenarios had upgraded recently. I have a almost 5 year old (march 2006) Rev A 2.0 GHZ Core Duo Macbook Pro, with 2GB Ram and 320GB storage. It has taken a beating but this machine is still going strong. I am currently tempted by a educational department promotion which gives us 1 yr no 0% APR on a new computer purchase, thinking about going with a core i5 or core i7 15" MBP.

    My usage is moderate, I do heavy browsing,email,chat as well as moderate photoshop usage and multitasking.

    What is your suggestion, should I hold off for another cycle?
     
  2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

    Bill Gates

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #2
    Since you've already kept your existing MacBook Pro this long, I would wait for the new models to be launched before buying.
     
  3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

    UltraNEO*

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    近畿日本
    #3
    Just my opinion mind... but there's no point pouring good money on new technology, if the existing unit does the job perfectly!!
     
  4. mulo macrumors 68020

    mulo

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Location:
    Behind you
    #4
    i'd suggest waiting until ivy bridge is launched, that should pose some serious updates, and a computer that will last you as long as your current has.

    I promised myself not buying any new computer before ivy bridge.
     
  5. TSE macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    #5
    Honestly, as long as your computer is doing it's job well, I'd keep it. Core Duos are still pretty good for most people.

    It's ultimately your decision though.
     

Share This Page