Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lorthirk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Hi all. I have a MacBook Pro revC that really heats up during the day... According to iStat, now I have all temperatures values on or above 40°C, with CPU and GPU heatsink at 60°C. Note that I have no particular application open (Safari, NetNewsWire, Mail and aMSN). Moreover, sometimes I do some lanparty with my friends, for which I use BootCamp. Well, after a couple of hours playing, the computer simply shuts down automatically (and, let me add, dramatically) without any warning. Should I be worried?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Your temps seem within normal range. If you search the forums you'll find dozens of threads on this subject, with a lot more helpful information.

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 588

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
All Santa Rosa platforms contain Core 2 Duo processors, but not all Core 2 Duos are in the Santa Rosa platform. The Rev C is a Napa platform with a C2D.

Well... actually, I know that, but I'm referring to how some people sometimes refer to them... The 2.16 & 2.33GHz macbook pros were called "C2D" and the 2.2 & 2.4GHz Santa Rosas were called... well, Santa Rosa.

Well looks like everything is clear... I get temps of around 80 when I'm gaming with my MBP. That's the GPU though.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
No, you shouldn't be worried. Those temperatures are normal.

If you really want to lower those temps, then I recommend getting a program to regulate your fan speeds. SMC Fan Control is popular.

Lorthirk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Ok... I assume I have to trust you :)

Even if the computer shutting down when I'm playing worries me a bit...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Hi all. I have a MacBook Pro revC that really heats up during the day... According to iStat, now I have all temperatures values on or above 40°C, with CPU and GPU heatsink at 60°C. Note that I have no particular application open (Safari, NetNewsWire, Mail and aMSN). Moreover, sometimes I do some lanparty with my friends, for which I use BootCamp. Well, after a couple of hours playing, the computer simply shuts down automatically (and, let me add, dramatically) without any warning. Should I be worried?

those numbers are fine. at least your MBP doesnt sit on 70°C when idle (thats how bad the CD chips were intel made lol).

Ok... I assume I have to trust you :)

Even if the computer shutting down when I'm playing worries me a bit...

it is the GPU that is causing windoze to freeze and shut down. it must be going past the hardware override temperature and forcing it to shut down. once it hits a certain temperature (not sure on exact numbers) it will shut down immediately so it doesn't break/melt anything.

ManWithhat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Didn't want to make a new thread (there are hundreds of them :p) Anyways, is this normal?
I don't do much more than surf the internet and listen to music:

GPU diode temp: 70
GPU heatsink: 61
CPU a temp: 65

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.