macbook pro right fan noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weblogik, Jan 10, 2011.

1. weblogik macrumors regular

As per title... Loud grinding sound, goes away on restart, seems to be happening more consistently in the past few days (noticed it last week for first time). The MBP is 3 years old
    I have an appointment at apple store for tomorrow, im pretty sure they'll just say that the right fan needs to be replaced (applecare warranty ended a month ago of course)

Wondering what kind of costs i can expect, if not excessive i might just pay apple store premium to get it fixed and over with, but im also toying with the idea to buying a replacement fan and replacing it myself. I have done a hard drive swap before and didnt find it too difficult, i would assume the fan thing wouldnt be that much harder, i saw fans online for about $40...
    I also saw some fan cleaning tutorials... should i attempt this before dishing out any cash?!

any words of wisdom on this, or anyone had this done and know how much applestore charges to get this done?

Thanks!

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Call them and see how much it would cost first, or maybe just wait for your appointment and see if they're generous enough to let it slide.

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

If you have never claimed on your AppleCare, the Apple Store may just fix the issue free of charge - maybe mention to them that you warranty JUST ran out... From there, I'd see how much they want for the fix and compare to the cost of buying a fan on your own. Make a clear judgement call on how willing you are to perform the repair on your own or pay the guys at Apple to have it done right(hopefully).

4. weblogik thread starter macrumors regular

logic board was just replaced a few months ago... hard drive is only a few months old too but i did it myself...
    new fans and i'll have a new computer lolol

i think $50 is my laziness/convenince limit. any labor over that i think i'd take it in my own hands!!!

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Another option is to try Apple Authorized Repair centers which can work on them, are certified, but are also 3rd party companies so they are much less cost wise.

6. weblogik thread starter macrumors regular

Wowzers just realized in order to change the fans you gotta pretty much gut the mbp, i think that might be a bit more then im comfortable doing...
    LAME!!!!