macbook pro roadmap - implication on purchase decision - any advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msim20, Aug 29, 2009.

  1. msim20 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #1
    i have a Feb 2007 MB Pro, 2GHz C2D processor. Now I am considering upgrading - my MB Pro takes too long trying to process AVCHD video that my HF100 Canon camcorder produces. But I do want to be aware of what might be in-store for MB Pro from a computing power perspective - over the next 6-12 months. Any pros here that have a informed view on what is coming down the mobile computing pipeline from a Intel / Nvidia perspective assuming that Apple will adopt those developments for MB PRo. Need to fall back on Intel / NVidia because of course Apple is tightlipped about everything :).

    So, I started researching. Found this link - but realized that I still do not understand what this roadmap means from a consumer perspective - will these be significant leaps in computing power - like dual core, and C2D were over the previous processors or are these incremental. Like NVidia 512 GT is over my onboard video card.

    Discuss?
     
  2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

    MacModMachine

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
  3. msim20 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #3
    this one?

    Useful to see the 82 days into refresh, but no discussion on how big the next update is likely to be - esp on computing power... unless i am not viewing the right portions of the guide.
     
  4. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

    CrackedButter

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Location:
    51st State of America
    #4
    Here is a simple solution:

    But your new machine when all the components are double that of your existing one. That way you know you're literally getting twice the machine (and should be satisfied with that) and you will have waited 3-4 years for a new one which seems like a reasonable upgrade cycle route to take.

    For example I bought a 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook with 1 GM of Ram and a 80GB HD back in 2007

    My next machine is going to be a 17" Inch MBP, all I'm waiting for now is the processor to either get to 4Ghz or Quad Core. The other components have all been doubled.
     
  5. evitica macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2009
    Location:
    New York, NY
    #5
    I agree with CrackedButter. I did the exact same thing. I had a Powerbook G4 with 2gb of ram and was 1.5Gghz. The one I just bought a few weeks ago is the new uMBP with 4gb of ram and is 3.06ghz.
     
  6. msim20 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #6
    hmm. i like the simplicity also that crackedbutter is bringing to the process...

    but that means i should not upgrade now :(. I have a 2GHz C2D processor and will probably buy the 2.8GHz processor.

    two related thoughts (to bring complexity to this):

    - what about the fact that with the free iPod touch and the 10%% off on price, it makes a good price. normally one can only get about 10% discount on refurbs. what would you do?

    - it is not only about GHz - dual core, or higher on chip memory and other such things play a big role, don't they. so the question is, have we hit 2x from processing power power perspective. don't forget 512MB or graphics card - i do not think that will be upgraded in the next year. unless somebody knows otherwise...
     
  7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

    CrackedButter

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Location:
    51st State of America
    #7
    You're complicating things again, what are your specs and what are the current specs in Apple's lineup? Graphic Cards are in the 512MB range, yours from 2007 should be under 256MB right?

    I'm not buying a refurb.

    My underlying point was that quad core upgrades are near & 4Gz isn't far off, if you can wait a little longer then you'll be really happy with the new machine because it will be a simple choice of going for the one which is double the specs of your old one.

    The ipod discounts are on offer every year, I wouldn't worry. Besides you want a faster machine right, that was the most important thing, not a free ipod.
     
  8. msim20 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #8
    crackedbutter - your assessment is spot on. i will hold off till quad core arrives.

    one final question - how do you know quadcore is around the corner or 4GB? reading Intel's processor lineup did not seem to suggest that will happen soon.
     
  9. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

    CrackedButter

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Location:
    51st State of America
    #9
    I don't know, but I do know windows laptops are quad core already and 4Gz is inevitable! :)
     
  10. msim20 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #10
    if windows have it, then mac will too. i agree. let me search for windows laptop with quad core.

    interesting photos, btw.

    cheers.
     
  11. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2005
    #11
    I agree with CrackedButter as well, but remember that clock speed and number of cores are not the definition of speed.

    Frankly, I'd suspect that a 2ghz Core Solo would be about twice as fast as a 1.5ghz G4. In upgrading to a 3.06ghz Core 2 Duo, you likely got a machine that was 4 times as fast.

    I recently upgraded from a 15" 2.16 GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro to a 13" 2.26 GHz uMBP. It wasn't twice as fast, but I did get triple the battery life, a much lighter and more durable machine, similar to a little better graphics performance (yes, the 9400m outperforms or matches the x1600) and about 15-20% faster CPU performance. The 13" is also much, much cooler to the touch.

    I sold the old machine on eBay for about $900. When you factor in tax, the student discount, and the free iPod and free printer (which I sold on eBay or to friends), I got the new 13" model for about $150. Not bad for the improvements I got.
     
  12. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #12
    looks like you want to upgrade...
     
  13. msim20 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #13
    true, i think i will appreciate the faster speed and think that this kind of price value i will get only a year from now.

    was trying to figure out if the next improvement in processing power is likely to be a step jump or incremental - step jump in my mind would mean things like
    - dual core to quad core (not 2.8 GHz to 3.5 GHz) - although some people seem to opine that a lower GHz quad core might actually be slower and hotter than current CPUs - slower they say because non multimedia softwares do not use all the cores
    - 4GB RAM to 8GB standard - this might well happen but I would imagine this can be done post facto also
    - on board graphics to 512 MB discrete system (not expecting that go up significantly)
    net at this point I am confused as to whether the processor upgrade that will inevitably happen in 4-6 months will be a step jump (change in processor family) or incremental.

    screensaver400's approach is also giving me ideas - if I sell my 2GHz C2D, I should be able to get $900 or so. speed vs value - is also playing into the decision.

    all said, this discussion is very rich and definitely helpful. thanks all!
     
  14. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

    jfyrfytr25

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2008
    #14
    I think that if a new computer would help you now, why wait for something that we dont even know when will happen? If your current computer is not enough and you can afford it, buy one that is going to help you now.

    who knows how long it would take apple to get to quad core and/or 4GHz.

    we all know that apple has a different way of doing things and does them in their own time. look at Blu-Ray. Many PC's now have BR.

    If apple wanted it in their systems they have the resources to make the licensing happen. obviously they are not in a big hurry to get it despite the consumers begging for it.

    so to hold off on buying a machine that would currently help you be more productive just because they MAY have 2X the speed in the near future seems ridiculous.

    i upgrade when there is something that would I feel can help me NOW. I had a uMB 2.4GHz.
    but i upgraded to a 15"MBp because i decided i wanted a bigger screen AND because battery life is very important to me.


    if you do decide to hold off, get an SSD for your current system. the HDD is the biggest bottle neck and an SSD makes your system "seem" like it is 2X faster.

    I bought a 64gb Patriot WARP a year ago. paid $240 but has been the biggest performance boost i have ever seen in a machine.
     
  15. msim20 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #15
    @jfyrfytr25: it is a little bit more complicated than that. my work work is fine on my current MB Pro. my leisure work will definitely be smoother with a new MB Pro. So I am debating.

    As for the SSD - definitely something I will buy once the 256GB falls below $200 mark. am painfully aware of the HDD being the biggest bottle-neck - was just not sure of the speed bump. would love to be able to launch apps before one bounce is completed!! just don't know how to make my system along with the music sit on a 64GB laptop. and I do not know how to put music on an external drive - I guess I can but it will take editing plist etc.
     

Share This Page