Macbook Pro (rumored) speed bump worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JT123, Oct 1, 2011.

1. JT123 macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering, considering Intel has upgraded some of its processors and since there has been rumors of Apple silently upgrading them (in this case a 2.2ghz i7 6MB L3 Cache to a 2.5ghz i7 8mb L3 Cache) is this an update worth waiting for. Assuming that it isn't just a extra addition?

Thanks

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It is 200 Mhz more.
    Which means 8.6-10% more CPU speed depending on your base. If that is worth it for you wait if not, don't. It really isn't anything you couldn't calculate on your own. 10% is something but it isn't much. Sitting in front of a MBP you wouldn't notice the difference without benchmarking tools or some time stopper or a direct comparison.

3. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

If you really need the latest power, i believe the chips the current macbook pro have are the second newest, the macbook air has the current newest chip set. While the new sandy bridge-e chipset is set to be released, it is possible for a minor bump.

As stated, a processor only bump would amount to 8~10% processor jump. In that case you get only slightly more processing performance. I mean do you really need that? Second newest chips aren't all that bad I mean there is only one thing newer out there at the current moment.

Plus the waiting game is rarely a favorable one, Apple could just skip a bump and go ahead and wait for a full update once Ivy Bridge (next year is released. I believe apple does like an update a year or an update every 10 months with the pro line. Technology updates every 6 months, eventually something else will be out, and that is just how it is.