Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rimisrandma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
There are rumors that the new macbook pro laptops will;

Not have an ethernet port (for internet connection?)
Have only solid state hard drives
have a faster Ivy Bridge processor
Will NOT have an optical DVD/ CD drive

WHAT IS THE PROBABILITY OR CONSISTENCY that these rumors are true? Is there a pretty good track record for these predictions?

Today, I would buy a 15" MBP, with 4 GB of ram and slap a Crucial 16 GB in myself, a 7200 rpm 750 GB hard drive, with the best 2.5 ghz i7 Sandy bridge processor.

I would wait for basically the same thing with a faster Ivy bridge i7, but will need all the same current connectors (including the ethernet jack) AND still need the optical drive. Am I screwing myself by waiting or is the rumors never really even close to what is released?

Zakoth

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2011
Ivy Bridge - Extremely likely
ODD - Likely(?)
Ethernet - less likely
SSD - I've never heard this until now

Nov 28, 2010
located
Why post threads at all? Delete them all?

Yes. Why. This has been and is being discussed in hundreds of threads, all repeating the same information over and over, I guess I just don't understand it. But as I also don't follow rumours that much, it might be the reason, why I don't understand the myriad of threads about the same topic being discussed to horses. Luck was canceled because of that, and they were the lucky ones I guess.
Anyway, I leave you alone, I have some battery virus I need to repair the permissions of. It is overheating the frack out of my brain.

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011
There's even one much more official thread.... With tons of pages in it. read through that before taking up more unnecessary space on the forums please. Don't get me wrong, I'm just as, if not more curious about this as the next guy, and am dying to know more rumors, but recently, I've been seeing too much repetition in terms of threads. Not being mean, just honest. Cheers!

allofthepeople

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
There's even one much more official thread.... With tons of pages in it. read through that before taking up more unnecessary space on the forums please. Don't get me wrong, I'm just as, if not more curious about this as the next guy, and am dying to know more rumors, but recently, I've been seeing too much repetition in terms of threads. Not being mean, just honest. Cheers!

I have been a moderator on many forums for years, including running web/new media operations for many high level clients in music and sports... One thing I can not stand is people jumping on each other on a forum especially a newbie, thats not how you should act and makes the forum look trashy. Repeats happen so get over it, maybe they have a fresh question they want to ask without it being buried in a huge 50 page thread that has nothing but bickering and trolling going on!

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
I have been a moderator on many forums for years, including running web/new media operations for many high level clients in music and sports... One thing I can not stand is people jumping on each other on a forum especially a newbie, thats not how you should act and makes the forum look trashy. Repeats happen so get over it, maybe they have a fresh question they want to ask without it being buried in a huge 50 page thread that has nothing but bickering and trolling going on!

Frankly, I believe mfuchs88's comment was fine. I agree with what he said and actually he was being very considerate, certainly not "jumping on him" or "bickering or trolling." I don't know what kind of forums you used to run, but there is a dedicated thread already, no need to fill up the entire page with the same damn questions to which NO ONE has an answer to. People need to learn to use the search function.

allofthepeople

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
Frankly, I believe mfuchs88's comment was fine. I agree with what he said and actually he was being very considerate, certainly not "jumping on him" or "bickering or trolling." I don't know what kind of forums you used to run, but there is a dedicated thread already, no need to fill up the entire page with the same damn questions to which NO ONE has an answer to. People need to learn to use the search function.

I was referring to some of the posts in many of the multi-post threads being filled with "bickering or trolling" not mfuchs88 comment... I also think people do search but they might have a new take or a different angle on the topic that shouldn't be buried in the others if that said "bickering or trolling" is going on!

rimisrandma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012

I like this.

I guess my post would be somewhat original in the sense that I am asking whether buy now or wait. I am a bit pressed because if I wait I am screwed and will not be able to buy the one I wanted more than one that is butchered and likewise I can use the better processor unless the predictions are more often true than not etc. But, to buy or not to buy is the question.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
It is so easy to
a) ignore a thread
b) post a link to the relevant thread
c) notify a mod to move/close/delete this thread
d) actually answer the OPs questions

Instead, this thread is turned into a useless discussion of whether or not the OP should have used the search function.

Dear OP:
There are many rumors about an upcoming redesign. The most important thing is that these are just rumors, and similar rumors appear every year.

What is a relatively safe assumption is that the next model will feature the next generation of Intel CPUs. There is not really another option in this field.

About the rest:
- no ODD: Eventually, this will happen. Whether it happens in 2012, I don't know
- SSD only: Same as above. SSDs are the future, but right now the GB/$ ratio might still be an issue for the consumer market
- no Ethernet: If there is a redesign of the MBP unibody, they might get rid of it - it's just too damn big :/

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I like this.

I guess my post would be somewhat original in the sense that I am asking whether buy now or wait. I am a bit pressed because if I wait I am screwed and will not be able to buy the one I wanted more than one that is butchered and likewise I can use the better processor unless the predictions are more often true than not etc. But, to buy or not to buy is the question.

The answer is ... if you need it now ... then buy ... if you don't ... then wait

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I like this.

I guess my post would be somewhat original in the sense that I am asking whether buy now or wait.

Really? The "should I buy now or wait for the next model" threads usually start appearing about a week after the release of a new model. It's everything, but not original ;)

Don't get me wrong, I prefer people starting new thread, instead of adding their questions/comments to a week or month old thread, and I happily commented on your question above. But it's really not a very original thread :)

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I like this.

could care less about the new thread vs add to old thread but your joking about the bolded right?

AppChat

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
u my as well wait for the 2015 macbook pros since u will never be happy with one coming around the corning

allofthepeople

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
It is so easy to
a) ignore a thread
b) post a link to the relevant thread
c) notify a mod to move/close/delete this thread
d) actually answer the OPs questions

Instead, this thread is turned into a useless discussion of whether or not the OP should have used the search function.

Thank you very much! And yeah for example my main concern is I am on a limited income right now and don't have money to just throw at a new mac like some. The "if you need it buy it, if not wait" isn't so simple and easy as some people say. I have been volunteering recently at a church in media working on my busted up '08 MB whose screen is only about 40% visible. My concern is I have found a great deal on the latest current one through B&H but it would be a better investment to get the one with the best features for a similar price. BUT if the new MBP has a deal breaker like low non upgradeable RAM or something like that then I would get the current one, just afraid even through third parties after such a radical refresh the supply may disappear quickly like the last series of original MBs did. Try editing 1080p videos and the other projects I do under deadlines with an old MB on its last leg and you will understand why someone like me posts similar things on multiple threads. BTW this thread has been very useful a lot of you guys have won me over, I came here a week or so ago and against losing my ODD and HDD but now I guess I'm embracing it for the speed I will gain even if I will have to lug around my external drives lol

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's already a number of MacBook Pro rumor threads. Please use one of those

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.