MacBook Pro running extremely slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivrim, Feb 22, 2015.

1. ivrim macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I have a MacBook Pro 15 Inch, Mid 2010. Specs are 2.66 i7, 4GB Ram, Nvidia GT 330M, and a 500GB HDD

Basically the title says it all, everything I do is terribly slow, opening applications is the most frustrating as it can take up 5 or more minutes just to open more than one app at once. And its nothing crazy like oh open these 10 apps please at light speed, no I mean like open safari and system preferences. If I do that everything goes to ****. Some things I have done to try and solve this would include running Onyx for housekeeping. That didn't work so I reformatted the whole thing, completely erasing the drive, and the problem still persists. I have checked the smart status of my hard drive and apparently its okay still, but I feel like my hard drive is dying slowly and painfully but I have no clue because this has been going on for a while, so any help is greatly appreciated as I would like to not go drop 2 grand for a new macbook.

2. Mik3F macrumors 6502

My suggestion is to buy a SSD and then reinstall OS X. The machine will feel like new after that

Would also be worthwhile putting your original HDD in a USB caddy and booting from that to see if things improve as it could be a failing SATA cable that is causing the issue

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Buy SSD, problem solved.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, another vote for getting a SSD, my Mac Mini felt like a brand new computer when I put a SSD into the old girl.

6. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

7. BradHatter macrumors regular

It could be the drive but it could be the cable too. I used Scannerz to test my system when I was having SSD problems and it's diagnostic mode has an option specifically to test the cable. You can review the product specs at http://scsc-online.com/Scannerz.html if interested.

FYI the first SSD I had went bad. Probably one of the memory chips was defective, so don't think they're invincible. AFAIC SSDs stand every bit as good a chance as going bad over time as a hard drive. However, your system is 5 years old, or at least approaching that, so the drive is a good possibility. If, however, the cable is bad, and these units are known for having cables that fail, if you put a new SSD in the problem will still be present.