Macbook Pro running games (Such as Steam)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VerticaLx1, Jun 14, 2008.

1. VerticaLx1 macrumors newbie

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...=browse&node=home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro

I'm interesting in buying the 2.8k MacBook Pro. My question is: How will it do with games such as Steam (Running Counter-Strike: Source) for example? I'm planning to use any of the emulators to run XP or run the applications for Mac in order to run the game(s), but Im curious to lag or anything else. How much FPS will it be getting b4 i order? thx

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Use Bootcamp to run your Windows games. Don't do it with Virtualization. CSS will run well.

3. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I run HL2 @ full res with 4xAA/4xAF

everything on high pretty much, looks good!

it also runs UT3 @ 1440x900, on medium great.

4. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

To run the games at their best you would need to use bootcamp, but a MBP will run a steam games great on boot camp not on a emulator

5. VerticaLx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice. Any average on FPS for CSS for example with medium like settings? Also, any reviews possibly?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. cashel macrumors member

how's the performance for steam-related games through Crossover? I'm really really lazy and don't feel like booting into XP just to play a game for a few minutes.

8. VerticaLx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Similar if not better.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. Find a download of the Beta, set your clock before Dec 31, 2007, make your partition, set it back, install Windows.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

And everytime you need to run it, you have to do that... sure must be fun ;)

13. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

You can always try XOM if you don't want to upgrade to Leopard. It's a bit harder to get it set up, but it works. Last used it back in 2006 when we didn't have Bootcamp, Parallels, and VMware Fusion. Now, I just use Bootcamp and virtualize the partition when I need quick access with Fusion.

14. stiphone macrumors regular

i play counter-strike using cross-over. Not much of a problem for me. Though i'm not sure about the FPS and stuff like that...didn't really check it out. Just wanted to play some games and have fun!!

15. bov macrumors 6502

I was playing source on my 2.2 MBP through Bootcamp and XP, and i was probably gettin FPSs from 50-120, and it feels smooth throughout the whole map. Loads maps fast too :D

16. VerticaLx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

So there is nothing to disappoint you and such? No lag of any kind? :)

17. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I also play css with cross-over, it works really well with my 2.4. I'm not sure what my FPS is either, but it is enough. It ain't the FPS, it's the skills! (something I don't have) :p

Restarting computer to use bootcamp just to play CSS has to be annoying... with Crossover it's no pain at all.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I can get 60 FPS on almost all maps running at 1920x1200 with AA@2x and AS@4x, everything else max. Of course I used vertical sync too, so maybe I can get get higher FPS. As with lag, that's with internet; my FiOS doesn't lag ;)
    Sure I could use wine, but I don't mind restarting the computer.

19. VerticaLx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

You think you can take a ss?

20. bov macrumors 6502

honestly, you will be able to run cs:s VERY SMOOTHLY since you will be getting the 2.5Ghz MBP which also has 512MB video card.

if i can run it well with my 2.2Ghz, 128Mb vid card, yours will be even better. :) Granted that you run this through Bootcamp, i dont have much experience with how it runs through Crossover, or other emulators.

The only reason why you MIGHT lag is if you play in a server which is located across the world from you :D

21. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

If SS means screen shot, I'm afraid I don't know how...

Also, I play it windowed, so I can surf the web and what not while I'm dead. :)

22. VerticaLx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

It should be f5.

C:/Program Files/Valve/Steam/SteamApps/Your Email/Counter-strike source/cstrike/screenshots

Thats where your screenshots will be at. Just hit f5 while playing the game ;)

23. VerticaLx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone please? I just want to make sure CSS doesn't lag and runs as smooth as possible when I get it :(

24. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

good lord man, we have all said itll be fine.

do some googling :)

you need a screenshot too now? :eek:

25. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

Look as much as Mac OS X just destroys windows in almost every aspect, game developers right 90% of games for windows only. To be able to play Crysis, CoD4, even steam (crossover, it works but meh, why pay $40). Just install windows. You won't even notice its installed. Just always boot into Mac OS X, then when u wanna play games, hold down Alt/Option and click windows. Then set it to reboot into mac os x when your done. Thats what I do at least.