MacBook Pro Running REALLY Slowly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DonnyPauling, Aug 1, 2009.

1. DonnyPauling macrumors newbie

About my MacBook:

17" MacBook Pro
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    OS X 10.5.7
    2 GB Memory
    123GB free space on my Harddrive (330 GB 7200RPM drive)

The problem:
    I've never had this problem before. My mom asked if she could use my computer so I restarted it so she could use the Guest Account. Restart took FOREVER. Because of this I decided to log back into my account, but when I clicked my icon it took 3 minutes before I was even allowed to enter the password. Once entered, it took another eternity to load, and any programs I tried to start took forever to launch.

I repaired permissions. The "show details" area indicted a very long list of problems being fixed. Once that was finished, things ran as normal again.

UNTIL I RESTARTED THE COMPUTER AGAIN. The same problem happened again (extremely slow startup - extremely slow program launch - etc). I decided to repair permissions again, and in the "show details" area, the exact same list of problems being fixed as before. Any ideas why that would happen?

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Did you notice the computer become progressively slower or was it just when you restarted it?

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Do you have any programs that start up upon boot up of your computer?
    Go to System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items

Also take a look at your Activity Monitor in Finder > Applications > Utilities
    Check to see if there is any process that is bogging down the system.

4. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Maybe it was an update you never restarted for, and it doesn't agree with your computer.

Probably easiest to just Archive and Install with your OSX disk. Or a time machine backup, if you have one.

5. DonnyPauling thread starter macrumors newbie

It was just when I restarted it.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

7. DonnyPauling thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done both. Nothing is bogging down the system, and absolutely nothing is checked in the Login Items. :(

However... after the last software update I received this error message:
    [​IMG]

I ended up following some instructions at the Apple site that forced the update to happen. All it was is the latest firmware update.

8. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I guess the only other thing you can do is reinstall your OS with your restore disks. Do an Archive and Install or do a Time Machine back up and do a clean reinstall.