MacBook Pro running slow with Aperture 3.1

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Manther86, May 11, 2012.

1. Manther86 macrumors newbie

I am using a MacBook Pro (2.4GHz, 2008) and Aperture 3.1 and when I use some of the image presets in the program, it takes an extremely long time for the presets to take effect, I'm talking up to 30 minutes per photograph. Not only that, but it causes the computer to freeze and the colorful spinning wait cursor appears until the photo is done processing. This is the only program that causes me this problem (I also use Adobe Lightroom 4.0, Photoshop CS5, etc.). Are there any measures I can take that will speed this up? Or is it that the MBP is simply outdated for the software?

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

How much RAM do you have?

Aperture is an incredibly RAM-hungry application. I'd recommend a minimum of 4 GB or RAM, with 6 GB being the max your laptop can use, I believe (one 2 GB stick and one 4 GB stick).

3. Manther86 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Ouch. That's the problem (or most of it).

If you have a Unibody 2008 MacBook Pro, toss in 8GB (OWC is a good option)

If it's not a Unibody, then get 6GB (OWC link). 4GB is much cheaper if costs are a concern, but get as much as you can afford.

If you can manage the costs, an SSD will also significantly improve that performance, although I'd argue RAM will be more important at first here.

jW

5. Manther86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be buying a 27" iMac once the 2012 models come out, so I don't suppose I'll need to upgrade my MPB immediately. But then again, who knows when that will be?

6. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

RAM is incredibly cheap these days. There's no reason to wait.