macbook pro running slow...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by truz, Mar 25, 2008.

1. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

My macbook pro seems to be running slow (browser wise) it will run fine for a good hour or so after I reset the browser but why should I have to do this on an hourly basis? most people keep there history/cache for weeks!

I don't have much running as you can see in the dock, I have 10 widgets running 9 mac standard widgets (3 weather, translator, calculator, dictionary white pages, clock, calender) and a screen shot widget I downloaded from apple.com

any ideas what to do other then format?

Attached Files:

2. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Well, if you have a cluttered desktop, that can slow down performance. Also, I've heard that widgets take up a lot of CPU sometimes. If you don't have it, I recommend getting the iStat Pro widget. That has a section that tells you what is easting up the most of your CPU at the moment (the top 4 processes).

3. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

I have 14 icons on my desktop (few screen shots, 4 folders, few text docs)

here is a screen shot of the istats I just downloaded/installed.

Attached Files:

4. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

dont mean to double post but here is a screen shot with 2 more settings turned on in istats.

Attached Files:

5. Fundillo macrumors newbie

looks like you should throw some ram sticks in there

6. munson macrumors 6502

munson

That's what mine looks like. I have a question, though. Do you know what "WindowServer" is and why it takes up so much damn CPU for me? It's usually upwards of 35%

Attached Files:

7. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

I have no clue.. All I know is Safari won't load pages unless I load them via firefox then for some reason it will load that page via Safari. I just upgraded to firefox 3 beta4 and it seems to be working a hair faster then firefox3 but still very slow (took 5 minutes to login at forums.macrumors.com) room mate used his windows computer (same wireless network) and is running threw things. I'm on Flock right now and it seems to be running the fastest out of Safari, Firefox and Camino. Mac Mail also is not working for my personal domains (.mac email and gmail are working, my personal/business emails from my server won't go online) I do have others using my business email and they say it's working fine. So this is computer related, if I were on windows I would know for sure this is a virus.

Any ideas on how I can speed things up?