MacBook Pro running very hot after latest Software Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jslicer, Mar 13, 2009.

1. jslicer macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm running latest version of OSX (10.5.6) on a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of RAM. I've been using smc fan control to gauge my computers heat for over a year now. But after installing the latest updates through software update, I'm idling at 165-170 degrees with nothing open and my activity monitor doesn't even show anything is taking up alot of CPU processing. Before, the average temperature was at about 110-120 degrees. This really sucks and will shorten my laptop's life span if not resolved.

I called Apple Care...they said take the battery out and reset the PRAM. Did this and still running just as hot as before. Anyone know what's going on here?

-Jake-

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Remove Fan Control and then do a SMC reset again. Standard configuration for fans should be anywhere from 1800-2000 rpm.

3. jslicer thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck

Did this but still running just as hot. I see no reason why smc fan control would be the problem as to my computer heating up this much with everything else closed.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

clean out the fans from dust.

And the "shorten life" argument is typically stupid because by the time the system dies of higher than before temperatures, you would've got rid of the system long ago.

5. jslicer thread starter macrumors newbie

Clean out the dust isn't going to reduce my temperature 40-50 degrees although i'll do this just to clean out the fans. The computer is under AppleCare....i might just have to press for a replacement if this can't be resolved.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Before you go out and get it swapped, do an Erase and Install or Archive and Install without preserving user settings. If it's still hot and noisy after that, than it's hardware problem.

7. jslicer thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured it out

Found the culprit!!

I didn't have "All Processes" shown in Activity Monitor, just "My Processes". When I looked at "All Processes" I saw this thing called PrintJobMgr using up 99% of my CPU. I quit it and my temperatures and fan dropped right away.

http://blog.crankybit.com/printjobmgr-uses-99-cpu/

Please see the link above to learn more about this. I would have never guessed but I knew it had to be some hidden process causing the high temperatures especially after taking the battery out and even resetting the PRAM.

-Jake-