Macbook Pro running very slow and freezes

pup555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Macbook is 1 year old...running very slow today and freezes...it does this in spurts..1 day will be horrible..next 5 will be fine ect

firefox use to make it worse so i got google chrome..now google chrome makes it worse and i have to use firefox...when i open mail it freezes for about 10 min (today that is)

just took me 12 min to post this. What can i do..honestly i am ready to completely restore it to brand new....what can i do to help

Also..my mac 2 weeks ago was stuck at the opening grey screen...took me 2 hours to reinstall the OS to even be able to use it again...also programs are opening slow

Last edited:

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Macbook is 1 year old...running very slow today and freezes...it does this in spurts..1 day will be horrible..next 5 will be fine ect

firefox use to make it worse so i got google chrome..now google chrome makes it worse and i have to use firefox...when i open mail it freezes for about 10 min (today that is)

just took me 12 min to post this. What can i do..honestly i am ready to completely restore it to brand new....what can i do to help

Also..my mac 2 weeks ago was stuck at the opening grey screen...took me 2 hours to reinstall the OS to even be able to use it again...also programs are opening slow
Computer specifications would help, a lot.

pup555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Computer specifications would help, a lot.
should have added that

it came with the i5 4gb of ram

first 6 months it was very fast..but since has slowed..worst in the past month..would a complete reset fix this? Or is there a free program?

I repaired my permissions ect but no change

also..what are the permissions? Why do you need to repair them ect...not a big computer guy

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
should have added that

it came with the i5 4gb of ram

first 6 months it was very fast..but since has slowed..worst in the past month..would a complete reset fix this? Or is there a free program?

I repaired my permissions ect but no change

also..what are the permissions? Why do you need to repair them ect...not a big computer guy
How long have you had it? You sound like you have a warranty still, why don't you use it?

To me it sounds like a hardware problem, such as a hard drive failing.

Permissions are just that, permissions. For you to be able to read or write to a file on a computer, you have to have permission. Repairing permissions using disk utility fixes errors in the system files' permissions. It's not a fix for many things, so it's pretty normal it didn't change a thing for you.

pup555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
How long have you had it? You sound like you have a warranty still, why don't you use it?

To me it sounds like a hardware problem, such as a hard drive failing.

Permissions are just that, permissions. For you to be able to read or write to a file on a computer, you have to have permission. Repairing permissions using disk utility fixes errors in the system files' permissions. It's not a fix for many things, so it's pretty normal it didn't change a thing for you.
It's about 1 year and 1 month old. I have the 4 year accidental through best buy on it. (was a Christmas present last Christmas)

Anyway to tell for sure it's the hard drive?

pup555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Anyone? My mom just got an imac with the same specs and it's very fast..opening files..pictures ect

MrBullet

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Bristol, UK
Take it into Apple and ask them to look at it. They'll identify the problem for you.

Does sound like your hard drive is failing.

If they quote a price that you can't afford, well "accidentally'' trash you MBP and get a new one.

I would never lie and say my MBP was stolen to my insurance company but if it covers accidental damage for 4 years just wait for the drops and bashes to happen;)

EIGHTYTHREE

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2012
since you are under warranty simply take it to BB or to Apple and have them check it out. Your BB warranty will cover. No one here will know for certain if its your hard drive or not. Sounds like you should be ok. Good Luck.

pup555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
since you are under warranty simply take it to BB or to Apple and have them check it out. Your BB warranty will cover. No one here will know for certain if its your hard drive or not. Sounds like you should be ok. Good Luck.
so if i brought it to apple..they can tell me what the issue is with it? Free diagnostic?