Macbook Pro running very slow and freezes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pup555, Jan 10, 2012.

1. pup555, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

pup555 macrumors newbie

Macbook is 1 year old...running very slow today and freezes...it does this in spurts..1 day will be horrible..next 5 will be fine ect

firefox use to make it worse so i got google chrome..now google chrome makes it worse and i have to use firefox...when i open mail it freezes for about 10 min (today that is)

just took me 12 min to post this. What can i do..honestly i am ready to completely restore it to brand new....what can i do to help

Also..my mac 2 weeks ago was stuck at the opening grey screen...took me 2 hours to reinstall the OS to even be able to use it again...also programs are opening slow

2. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Computer specifications would help, a lot.

3. pup555, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

pup555 thread starter macrumors newbie

should have added that

it came with the i5 4gb of ram

first 6 months it was very fast..but since has slowed..worst in the past month..would a complete reset fix this? Or is there a free program?

I repaired my permissions ect but no change

also..what are the permissions? Why do you need to repair them ect...not a big computer guy

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

How long have you had it? You sound like you have a warranty still, why don't you use it?

To me it sounds like a hardware problem, such as a hard drive failing.

Permissions are just that, permissions. For you to be able to read or write to a file on a computer, you have to have permission. Repairing permissions using disk utility fixes errors in the system files' permissions. It's not a fix for many things, so it's pretty normal it didn't change a thing for you.

5. pup555 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's about 1 year and 1 month old. I have the 4 year accidental through best buy on it. (was a Christmas present last Christmas)

Anyway to tell for sure it's the hard drive?

6. pup555 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone? My mom just got an imac with the same specs and it's very fast..opening files..pictures ect

7. MrBullet macrumors member

Take it into Apple and ask them to look at it. They'll identify the problem for you.

Does sound like your hard drive is failing.

If they quote a price that you can't afford, well "accidentally'' trash you MBP and get a new one.

I would never lie and say my MBP was stolen to my insurance company but if it covers accidental damage for 4 years just wait for the drops and bashes to happen;)

8. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

since you are under warranty simply take it to BB or to Apple and have them check it out. Your BB warranty will cover. No one here will know for certain if its your hard drive or not. Sounds like you should be ok. Good Luck.

9. pup555 thread starter macrumors newbie

so if i brought it to apple..they can tell me what the issue is with it? Free diagnostic?