Macbook Pro running VERY slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlueDolphins, Nov 11, 2011.

1. BlueDolphins macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2010
    I have a I believe a '09 version pro. Running on snow leopard.

Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB
    Version 10.6.8

It always ran great and never had a problem with speed. Up until about a month ago, I know this semester has been rough on it, I used to keep it at home, but now I have to lug it around everywhere. I keep it in a speck case and inside my backpack.

I do update it on schedule, I back it up to an external harddrive on occasion and haven't installed anything new in months.

Lately it runs VERY slowly usually freezing and programs fail to open. I downloaded a memory manager from the App store and I watch it drop to 2MB Free all the time, just simply by trying to load google. I only keep Firefox, mail and stickies open. Very rarely anything else. Sometimes pages.

Do I need to upgrade my memory or what? I am not very tech savy so not sure what I can do, people who work at the tech place at my school are trying to sell me a whole new mac saying mines shot but I don't think so either way I can't afford a new one.
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    Have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications / Utilities /) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.
    Also check the "System Memory" tab to see what your "Page ins:", "Page outs:" and "Swap used:" are.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    Further reading:
  3. Mersailios macrumors regular

Oct 23, 2011
    What are you seeing for page ins and page outs? How often do you restart your Mac?
  4. BlueDolphins thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2010
    Pages in: 4.39 GB
    Pages out: 4.23 GB

I honestly don't ever turn my computer on or off. According to the system profiler its been 7 days since I've turned it off. Could that be a potential issue?

I noticed that my chart is 3/4 red&yellow. According to one site I saw it said that being true that I'm running out of ram and need to upgrade it. Would that help any. I only have a 250GB Harddrive and 180GB free.
  5. Mersailios macrumors regular

Oct 23, 2011
    That's a fair amount of page in/outs, indicating that your MacBook Pro is swapping information from its memory (or RAM) to a virtual memory file located on the hard disk; this swapping of data can cause the sort of issue that you're seeing.

2 GB of memory isn't necessarily bad but I certainly do think that an upgrade to 4 GB would be beneficial and improve the overall performance of your computer, this is especially true if you plan on upgrading to Mac OS X 10.7 at any point in the future. In terms of hard disk space, you've got tons left so there's really no need to worry about that.

You could always create a new user account and see how your computer performs while being logged into that account, it's always possible that there could be a damaged preference file or cache issue contributing to this.