MacBook Pro runnng hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarioD, Jan 19, 2017.

1. MarioD macrumors newbie

hi all,

My MacBook Pro is running pretty hot. I've noticed this recently. Most of the heat is on the left hand side. I know the charging point is there but it feels hot on the bottom left hand side too. I can't say when this has started but definately since early December.

I get the idea that while it's plugged in to the wall socket there will be some heat but it has never been this hot. I have the latest Sierra update and don't use the computer for any design programmers. Used mostly for email, word and a bit of excel. Any assistance would b greatly appreciated.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Open your Activity Monitor (Launch Pad > Other) and see what's taking up a lot of CPU capacity and energy (there are CPU and Energy tabs). Chances are that something is running more than it should be, maybe using your dGPU.

I think the fans push the warm air out the left back, and there's no keyboard in the way, so you may notice the heat most there.

What model do you have?

3. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Either a program is hogging the CPU, or dust buildup in your computer has caused the fans to not work as well. They are the easy solutions, others could be broken fan etc, check activity monitor, and if that's normal open your mac to see how much dust is in it.

4. MarioD thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi its a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

5. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Yeah I'd be willing to bet it's dust. Opened a friends mid 2012 to install more ram this holiday and it was extremely gross and dusty in there.