Macbook Pro Safari is Killing me!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mohammad, Dec 18, 2008.

1. mohammad macrumors member

mohammad

Hi,

After 1.5 years of wait I finally converted to a Mac and I love it.

I have a Macbook pro but ever since I got it Safari has been a pain in the butt!! Not sure if its Safari or its my internet connection.

Imagine I'm browsing facebook, I open a photos page and suddenly I see the page trying to load Icon for minutes and nothing happens.. meanwhile I open a tab and at the same time I'm able to open another website (i.e google.com).. but sometimes I see that when this happens I'm unable to load anything at all for 30 seconds or more... I've downloaded Firefox but I have not used it alot but I face the same issue I can say..

what should I do? what checks should I make?

Regards,
    Mohammad

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Im sure this is you internet because everyone that i no that uses Macs (including my brothers IT company of 14 macs) dont have this issue.

3. mohammad thread starter macrumors member

mohammad

Its funny... while submitting this post the same thing happened... it took around 45 seconds to submit!!!! at the same time I opened a second tab and loaded two new addresses I've never been to just to make sure they are not cached... and they worked!!!!

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I don't think this problem is the internet. Try using Firefox and see if you get the same problems.

Edit: I misread the original post.

5. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Well if its not, your the only person i have read about with this issue!

6. Slowstick macrumors 6502

It probably is the internet because he says he has the same problem on FireFox.

7. kolax macrumors G3

I get this with Safari too - I'll just get page loading, and if I open a new tab and go to another website, same thing happens, then after 10 seconds they'll load the webpages.

Rarely happens, maybe once a day (and I use my Mac for about 12 hours a day).

My internet connection is still fine - I can be downloading stuff when it happens. And the internet speed doesn't slow down - remains constant.

8. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Try resetting Safari and then restart Safari. You can reset Safari by going to Safari and then Reset Safari.

9. kolax macrumors G3

Have done many times - I'm trying to remember if I've experienced it since the OS X 10.5.6 update.

10. Slowstick macrumors 6502

10.5.6 is only days old. It probably isn't that...........?????????????

11. mohammad thread starter macrumors member

mohammad

I actually tried this now but still the same problem... all the icons on this page which I'm typing are still not loaded... same issue I face with Firefox.. so definitley its my connection.. can it be because of Firewall settings on the Macbook or my Wirless router? Or should I contact my ISP about this?

12. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

ICMP is your friend.

Try pinging the websites for a little while and see how many dropped packets you get.

Try tracing to the websites to see if something between you and your destination is the problem.

Finally, what kind of additional load do you have on your Internet connection? Do you run torrent software? Are you saturating your uplink? Do you have a wife that likes to post 2mb pictures on Flickr?

Finally, your sig says you're in the Netherlands. Do you have the same experience loading up locally hosted content?

13. kolax macrumors G3

Read what I said - "I'm trying to remember if I've experienced it since the 10.5.6 update". As in, I'm not sure if I've had this issue again since 10.5.6 was released, but prior to that I had this issue.

Got it? ;)

14. KronicX macrumors newbie

I had the same problem and the culprit was my ISP's DNS servers. I have ATT Uverse and this seems to be a problem with a lot of users both Mac and Windows alike. Even if you aren't using Uverse, change your DNS and see if that fixes your problem.

https://www.opendns.com/smb/start

15. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Oh, sorry. I hope 10.5.6 fixed it!!:):)

16. yaemes macrumors member

i used to have AT&T, the same company that provides uverse... that same thing happened to me all the time. i fixed it by unplugging the modem but that was annoying. eventually i switched to another isp and that fixed it. my router was the same on both services, an airport extreme. so its probably your isp rather than your computer or hardware.

17. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Looks like we found the problem. :)

18. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I have this problem on my 10.4 iMac but after I uninstalled glims it works fine.

ChrisN

19. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

20. mets1125 macrumors regular

The best way to check this out is to take your MBP to a wifi location (starbucks) or to someone's house and see if you have a problem there. This will most likely give you an idea if there is something wrong with your connection or your MBP.

I had a similar problem I thought it was my laptop then I went to starbucks and it was working fine there. Ever since then I had no problem so I guise it was my isp and they fixed the problem.

21. Slowstick macrumors 6502

22. mohammad thread starter macrumors member

mohammad

Hi I pinged a couple of for 1000+ packets to websites which I encounter the problem with and I have 0% packet loss.. even when I try to load www.facebook.com on my Safari and it does not load I still get 0% packet loss at the same time I ping it!!! Then what could be the problem?

I dont use any P2P or downloading software? I have to say I did not check this to see if I have the same issue with a cable as I'm using Wireless all the time... any other suggestions?

23. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

DNS could be an issue. You can eliminate that by trying this:

In /etc/resolv.conf above your nameserver line put:

order hosts, bind

Then in /etc/hosts put:

69.63.176.11 www.facebook.com facebook.com

Finally:

dscacheutil -flushcache

Go back to Safari and try again. If there's a dramatic difference, DNS could be your problem.

If you see results, take it one step further by replacing the IP address of nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf with a public offering from a list such as this one: http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast-public-dns-server-list/

Let us know,

J

PS 0% packet loss proves Layers 1, 2, 3 (which includes wireless). So it shouldn't matter wired/wireless.

24. KronicX macrumors newbie

Read my previous post regarding DNS and you will find your answer.