Macbook Pro Safe Temperatures?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roflman222, Apr 21, 2011.

1. roflman222 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I'm about to buy a new Macbook Pro 15" 2.3Ghz, 8gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm HDD. With the better video card and the hi-res screen.

But I was watching a video of someone playing Portal 2 at max settings (except for AA) and running smoothly on a consistent 60fps (v-sync) I thought, sweet! But then I saw that with smcFanControl and fans set to max or something, some part of the computer, not sure which was at 88 degrees C. That seems very very high to me, so I was wondering, if that was in the normal/safe range for a macbook pro and if not, then what I could buy/use to alleviate this issue?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. roflman222 thread starter macrumors newbie

So it has an automatic safety cutout? Still 88C seems like a hot temperature to have a computer at for an extended period of time, but it'd be fine if it was like that for say, 8-10hours?

4. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

look pal,i had an mbpro 15 core i7 last release with nvidia 512 320m,and id game on it for 10 hrs at 90 degrees,now i have a 15 2.2 i7-amd 1 g 6750,and im gaming at 90 degrees in win 7 for 10 hrs,no probs,if it goes over 105,id worry,but it haint on this latest model or the last ones ive had,youll be fine.

5. mape2k macrumors regular

AFAIK Intel processors have an operating temperature up to 100°C. If it reaches critical and unsafe temperatures it will shut down anyway.

To answer your question: They are designed to run this hot, even for 8-10h. Its a laptop after all, and not a Big Tower were you have much better circulation. Other laptops have just the same temperatures.

6. roflman222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks guys, it's just better to be safe then sorry with a $3000(AU) Computer.

7. far4477 macrumors member

I know processors get really hot with no damage, but im concerned as well. My 2009 MBP doesnt heat up at all, and my cheap acer laptop with an intel processor never gets over 75 degrees Celsius even when its gaming and under a heavy load

8. alexxn macrumors regular

With iChat on and doing Video mine goes up to @ 70C and FEELS hot, but I use SMCfancontrol to cool it down some.

I've read some people operating at 90C with no issues.

9. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

My 13" MacBook Pro 2011 is at 92*C at the moment as it encodes a Quicktime video for YouTube. I'm pretty concerned about the temperature myself as my 2009 MBP never got close to 90*C, though on a couple occasions it got into the 80s. It's all a bit spooky, but if everyone else has had a similar experience, I suppose I shouldn't worry...should I??

10. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

One of the side effects of current MBP good looks is that they run a little hot. It's not the heat itself but the heat/cold cycles that is the enemy of any electronic component, so running something at 90C for 10 hours straight is actually better than having it fluctuate between 40C and 90C constantly. Either way, the components should last quite a while, definitely longer than your typical ownership lifespan of an MBP.

Polbit

11. brentsg macrumors 68030

The GPU and CPU are in the same die now. It should make the CPU temp higher.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, the CPU will automatically shut down if temps are sustained around 105C/221F. As long as you're not experiencing shutdowns, you really don't need to worry about temps. Your MBP will adjust fan speed as needed to keep temps at a safe level.