Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ok, so I'm new here and new to Apple.

I've been a lifelong user of the PC and now I want to switch to a Mac.
I know the new MacBook Pro's are going to be coming out soon but I'm concerned about the Sandy Bridge problem.

Does anyone have any news on whether or not the new Pro's will have these defective Sandy Bridge chips in them or how they will affect the new Pro's?

I know they said there's a quick fix where 2 ports will still work, but I don't feel comfortable investing all my savings into something when there's already issues.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Apple is not like other companies ( nvidia)

They won't ship defective sandy Bridge processor...

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
intel fixed the issue and mass shipping is re-launching.

the mbp[ will receive the working intel SB.

Yeah I heard that. But if this so called Feb 26th release date is true, I don't see how they could have put the fixed one inside.

So say they come out with it the 26th and I buy it that day, you don't think I would regret it? (I've been saving for so long for one of these bad boys + being on Verizon, I gotta start saving for that next generation iPhone come June.)

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Since apple no longer charges restocking fee, there is really no point of waiting. In worst cases, you can get money back.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yeah I heard that. But if this so called Feb 26th release date is true, I don't see how they could have put the fixed one inside.
There will not be any releases of new Apple notebooks on Feb 26th, 2011. Wherever you heard that, it's false.

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto

So say they come out with it the 26th and I buy it that day, you don't think I would regret it? (I've been saving for so long for one of these bad boys + being on Verizon, I gotta start saving for that next generation iPhone come June.)

they removed the restocking fee so even if your not satisfied atleast you can get 100% of your money back, but they still wont put defective CPU's on purpose in the mbp's.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
There will not be any releases of new Apple notebooks on Feb 26th, 2011. Wherever you heard that, it's false.

Are you Steve Jobs? If you are, then okay. If you are not, then how do you know that it's false?

Oh wait.. is that you, ballmer?

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Uh, I read it on the front page.
Here

they removed the restocking fee so even if your not satisfied atleast you can get 100% of your money back, but they still wont put defective CPU's on purpose in the mbp's.

Ok sweet.

Yeah I read this and assumed they still sent them out and are using 2 unaffected ports. And I heard the problem creeped up after using them for a little while and caused very slow response time (so I don't think I could return it months down the line.)

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010

He probably means the 24th, which is the date several blogs (including MacRumors) have been "confirming" yesterday.

EDIT: Looks like you beat me to it. Yeah, 26th is almost impossible, as that's a Saturday.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
He probably means the 24th, which is the date several blogs (including MacRumors) have been "confirming" yesterday.

EDIT: Looks like you beat me to it. Yeah, 26th is almost impossible, as that's a Saturday.
Exactly. Plus, the 26th isn't Steve Jobs' birthday, either.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
That says the 24th, not the 26th. Even the 24th would be highly unusual for Apple, but it certainly won't be the 26th.

Oops, yeah you're right I meant the 24th.
So you think I should be safe buying it when it comes out?
Or wait a month to hear if there's any negative feedback (which I doubt would happen.)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Oops, yeah you're right I meant the 24th.
So you think I should be safe buying it when it comes out?
Or wait a month to hear if there's any negative feedback (which I doubt would happen.)
That's up to you. I tend to sit back and watch others in the mad rush to get the latest releases of technology. I let them stand in lines or complain about back-orders and shipping delays, then I let them complain about any bugs/flaws/disappointments they discover. I buy when I need something, and I don't wait till the next release, because I know that no matter when you buy, whatever you buy will soon be outdated by newer releases. I just avoid all the madness, speculation, impatient waiting, watching to see if the Apple store is down, etc. It's comical to watch others in this maddening frenzy, while I quietly enjoy whatever tools I need, bought when I need them, safe from the "bleeding edge" of technology.

.... but that's just me.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
That's up to you. I tend to sit back and watch others in the mad rush to get the latest releases of technology. I let them stand in lines or complain about back-orders and shipping delays, then I let them complain about any bugs/flaws/disappointments they discover. I buy when I need something, and I don't wait till the next release, because I know that no matter when you buy, whatever you buy will soon be outdated by newer releases. I just avoid all the madness, speculation, impatient waiting, watching to see if the Apple store is down, etc. It's comical to watch others in this maddening frenzy, while I quietly enjoy whatever tools I need, bought when I need them, safe from the "bleeding edge" of technology.

.... but that's just me.

I agree with you. I've been saving for a while now and my HP Laptop has been great for the last 4.5 years...but it's time for an update. My concern is with that damn Sandy Bridge. To tell you the truth I wish they kept everything hush-hush...I don't want some flawed chip that was "kinda fixed" and "shouldn't cause any problems." That'll just lurk in the back of my mind lol

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I agree with you. I've been saving for a while now and my HP Laptop has been great for the last 4.5 years...but it's time for an update. My concern is with that damn Sandy Bridge. To tell you the truth I wish they kept everything hush-hush...I don't want some flawed chip that was "kinda fixed" and "shouldn't cause any problems." That'll just lurk in the back of my mind lol
I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed with buying the MacBook Pros that are currently available. There's not likely to be a significant difference from model release to the next, especially since most users don't come close to taxing the current processors.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed with buying the MacBook Pros that are currently available. There's not likely to be a significant difference from model release to the next, especially since most users don't come close to taxing the current processors.

There's believed to also be a price drop for the new line...so I don't see it being too smart in buying one now. A kid in one of my classes has worked a Mac for 2+ years and he's kinda a nerd about this...I'm definitely going to see what his input is before I buy. But thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
There's believed to also be a price drop for the new line...so I don't see it being too smart in buying one now. A kid in one of my classes has worked a Mac for 2+ years and he's kinda a nerd about this...I'm definitely going to see what his input is before I buy. But thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Honestly, I doubt the price drop will actually happen. Apple would more likely push SSDs at the current cost, if anything.

fortunecookie

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2010
Its not the sandybridge processor that had a problem it was the chipsets. Anyway, as soon as the SB MBPs come out and they have quad cores, ssd, no odd, better battery for the 17" I will get one.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
If you don`t need to get a new one ASAP then you won`t lose by waiting.
I`ve been burnt a few times by being the first to get a new bit of tech so now I tend to hang back a bit and see how it performs in the real world for a couple of months or so.

whyzdom

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011

He's probably a member here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.