MacBook Pro Scratch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carlosbutler, Oct 13, 2009.

1. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

After rushing to lectures this morning I scratched my laptop because my phone somehow got put into the laptop case and scratched it:
    [​IMG]

I was wondering what others have done to fix or hide scratch's. When i run my finger over it, its seems smooth but after trying to clean it off it still there.

Has anyone used and car scratch repair kits (those tiny and overly expensive paint things) or anything of that sort?

2. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Silver is a very hard color to match. You could get some sort of paint and fill in the scratch, but it would probably call more attention to it than the original scratch itself.

And with the matte finish on the aluminum, any polishing you do to remove the scratch is going to just spread more damage around in addition to the existing scratch. Not worth it, IMHO.

If it really bothers you, you could put a hard case over the laptop. I don't think it looks all that bad, though. Scratches add character. ;)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, not much you can do about it. There was a recent thread about this very subject a little while ago. Search for it, that thread may have more information but if I recall the gist of the thread was you'd have to live with it.

4. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

If the scratch is VERY shallow you could try with two grit sizes sandpaper. Maybe 1500 and 3000.
    Anyway, the other thing you could do is apply a stitching cover on the top, that will cover the scratch and prevent others. A fellow of mine bought one quite nice, a sort of wooden-like paint.
    To prevent scratches, I applied an Invisible Shield cover.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Use sandpaper on the MBP :eek:

6. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

yeah the sandpaper thing, not that i'm saying it wont work but... SANDPAPER :p and yes i think i might just leave it the same, its just so annoying that having had laptops and computers for years not a single thing has broken/scratched etc and as soon as i get sent my replacement from apple it gets some strange thing from my iphone :rolleyes: o well

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Sandpaper might work. It depends how deep the scratch is, if its close to the surface it might work. You'll need really fine sandpaper :D

8. copykris Suspended

copykris

so, uh, does your laptop still, you know, WORK?

do people here buy macs to stare at or to actually work on? i get confused sometimes

9. copykris Suspended

copykris

or to be able to tell other people you have a mac, likely

my bad

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah but MBPs are quite expensive so you want them to look good:D

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Clearly you are a newbie

We buy macs to stare at because they're works of art :p

FWIW, I'd be pissed off if my MBP had a scratch on it. I feel the same about my truck. I prefer to try to take care of my possessions which means keepnig them in pristine condition (yes that's my OCD talking ;) )

12. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. You'd be surprised at what that gets off.

13. swedefish macrumors 6502

To the OP: you have my sympathies. That is an ugly sight. My brand new MBP came with a very small, very thin scratch out of the box. Am I happy about it?No. However, it is on the lid and I do not have to look at it whenever I keep the computer open, plus, everything else about my machine is flawless and I would curse myself had I exchanged it for a new laptop that might have been cosmetically perfect, but suffering from other issues.

14. copykris Suspended

copykris

maybe

my first apple computer was the mac SE, back in '88

what was yours?

15. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

I think he/she meant newbie to these forums. Don't take it the wrong way. ;)

Anyhow.. to the OP: sorry to say you have to live with it. just be careful with what gets in your laptop sleeve/bag next time.

16. MBP09 macrumors member

I feel ya, i too have a scratch on my new Macbook Pro, not as big as yours but still annoying knowing that it's there.

[​IMG]

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Mac Classic, then LC1, then LC2, then LC3, then performa, Then iBook, then iMac G3, then MBP, then iMac intel 2007 and im planning to get a new MBP.

Never owned a PC, never will.

18. omgwut macrumors 6502

Are you f**king kidding me, you people are maniacs.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

No, they're just taking pride in their expensive toold:D I'd be pissed too if I got a scratch on my MBP. I haven't got one yet, only an iMac but I'm going to get one before the end of the year:cool:

20. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That's more like a nick.

21. Johny24max macrumors newbie

Hey does that Billy mays stuff works I think its called simoniz fix it I might consider buyin it. Also guys what cases are the best ones that are thing but going to conservere the aluminum look???

22. copykris Suspended

copykris

i'm sorry, was i talking to you?