Macbook Pro: screen and keyboard not responding

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by therealmuffin, Mar 7, 2011.

1. therealmuffin macrumors newbie

Howdy,

I've got a 15" Macbook Pro (2.4GHz core 2 duo) and since today it stopped responding. Ussually I keep my macbook in standby. However, when opening the lid the screen did not turn on and the keyboard was unresponsive (as capslock would not turn green when pressing). When starting the computer it doesn't give its startup sound. Nonetheless I hear the fan spinning and the status light is on.
    - I tried restarting it, removing the battary and powerlead
    - I tried resetting the RAM and NVRAM. However, as my computer doesn't chime when starting up initially I have a feeling the computer doesn't make it far enough for this to have any effect.
    - I tried resetting the SMC.

. . . and the situation remains.

I´ve heard about a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT. I´m not sure this could be related. I do think my computer is equiped with the card.

I getting a bit scared and I'm afraid this is gonna cost me a lot of money. Therefore, I hope some genius brings up a solution before I decide to bring it to the doctor.

Thank in advance (solution or not),

Maarten

2. andthenitclicke macrumors newbie

Any luck finding a solution for this?? I just started experiencing the exact same problem.

3. therealmuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately not. I'm pretty sure the motherboard died. I could have had the computer tested for the Nvidia issue but the combined chance of that being the cause and the techs actually concluding that being the case seemed rather slim. I took my loss and bought a new macbook. The old computer is now waiting for me to find a motherboard at a bargain, then I have a spare computer for just in case.

On the internet there were a few possible solutions. One was to have the computer powered on battery till it died and then restart it on normal ac power. The idea was that this heated up the thermal paste of the gpu and set everything back in place. It didn't work for me, but it might be worth the try.

I'm afraid that's all I can give. Please post back if you find out a solution to the issue.

Kind regards, Maarten