Macbook pro Screen break up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by annie90, Feb 21, 2015.

1. annie90 macrumors member

Can anybody offer some advice. I've been having a problem with my macbook pro since last October. On the login screen the screen breaks up into various different colours.

I had in to an Apple store twice. The first time they told me it passed all the test they could do and didn't find an issue and the second time they replaced the logic board and the screen.

However, the problem is still as bad as ever. I'm starting to lose my patience with it as it been going on for so log and still not been fixed.

I attached some pictures of the problem. All these pictures have been times it has happened since the logic board and screen were replaced.

It is still under apple care until April of this year.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. radioking macrumors regular

Keep taking it back to the Apple Store. Eventually they will probably give you a new computer if the problem persists.

3. annie90 thread starter macrumors member

(13-inch, Late 2011)

Even if its coming up on 3 years old?
    All fine to keep taking it back but I'm with out the machine for a week or more time which is problematic as I'm in my final year of University with all my final deadlines due the end of March. :eek:

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

If they replaced the board and screen, then it still could be the cable.

Nevertheless, it still has AppleCare, so you should keep taking it back until it's fixed properly. If you continue to have problems after the next time you take it in, then call AppleCare and began to escalate up the chain.

As a last ditch effort, you could try emailing Tim Cook too, but I don't think you're to that point just yet ... maybe after the next failed repair attempt.

tcook@apple.com (just be patient & polite, as whoever reads the email will be the first time for them communicating with you ... first impressions and all that.)

... Saw your last response after I submitted this one ... If they keep the laptop for a week before you see it again, and you have finals coming up, then perhaps an email to tcook@apple.com is the better option at this point. Try calling AppleCare first though.

5. radioking macrumors regular

[/QUOTE]Even if its coming up on 3 years old?
    All fine to keep taking it back but I'm with out the machine for a week or more time which is problematic as I'm in my final year of University with all my final deadlines due the end of March. :eek:[/QUOTE]

There's nothing they will do to solve your missing computer, but they do have a track record of replacing the computer with a new one after 3-4 unsuccessful repairs. They will give you the newest comparable computer. In your case a 2012 non retina Pro.

6. annie90, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

annie90 thread starter macrumors member

Even if its coming up on 3 years old?
    All fine to keep taking it back but I'm with out the machine for a week or more time which is problematic as I'm in my final year of University with all my final deadlines due the end of March. :eek:

[/QUOTE]

There's nothing they will do to solve your missing computer, but they do have a track record of replacing the computer with a new one after 3-4 unsuccessful repairs. They will give you the newest comparable computer. In your case a 2012 non retina Pro.[/QUOTE]

This would be the third time its been in regarding the issue. If they did replace it would I have the option of getting AppleCare on the new machine?

Going by the pictures is it more likely to be hardware instead of software?
    Could a clean install of the OS solve it?

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

An OS X reinstall might help (don't restore from Time Machine during the OS install.) I noticed that the login prompt itself isn't distorted, just the background/wallpaper. So, that seems to support the theory that it's software-related. A bad display would most likely also have a distorted login prompt.

8. annie90 thread starter macrumors member

For a clean install, is this what I should do.

Important: To reinstall OS X, you must be connected to the Internet.
    In the menu bar, choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts (and the gray screen appears), hold down the Command and R keys.

Select Disk Utility, then click Continue.

Select your startup disk on the left, then click the Erase tab.

Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format menu, enter a name, then click Erase.

Important: Erasing the disk removes all the information from the disk. Be sure to back up the information you want to keep to an external device.
    After the disk is erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.

Select Reinstall OS X, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.

9. duervo, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Yes, that's correct.

During the install, it will ask if you want to restore from a Time Machine backup. Do not do that (you can use Migration Assistant afterwards to do that.) You want to rule out software being the cause (or prove that it is software-related.) So, it should be a completely clean OS X install, with no user data or applications aside what comes with OS X.

If you still have the problem after that's done, then time to start contacting Apple again.

Also, it may go without saying, but make sure you have all your school-related work backed up on an external drive (Time Machine or manual copy) first!

10. annie90 thread starter macrumors member

Using the Migration Assistant that won't bring over any of the software, it's just the files isn't that correct?

11. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

It will bring over everything by default. If it were me, I would just tell it to restore just my home directory, and uncheck the boxes for everything else. Then, reinstall my purchased Apps from the App Store.

12. annie90 thread starter macrumors member

Ok Thanks, I have another genius bar appointment for next week but might try that option first and then ringing Apple Care

What about 3rd party programmes i have brought that i can't download from app store. like MS Office etc. Had that on a disk but probably won't be able o find that now.

13. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

Google search how and where to find you license detail, and then you should be able to download, install and activate it.