Macbook pro screen, charging, and sound issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jcorkin, May 5, 2012.

1. jcorkin macrumors newbie

so i just picked up a 15" Macbook pro that is needing some fixes first thing is the macbook pro wont charge, i have another macbook pro that i tried using the cable from and that didnt fix the issue so i took the battery out of my good macbook pro and she powered up, however there was no audio and the screens backlight was not working, i could shine a flashlight on the screen and see mostly what was going on and the thing i noticed was when i turned the volume up and down the icon on the screen that shows where the volumes at always show a circle with a line through it right under the volume bar not sure how to correct that issue. so far i have done a pram reset, and i have powered down the mbp disconnected the charger and removed the battery and then held the power button down for seconds and restarted it and nothing. i removed the top cover to open her up to see if there was any loose connections but i couldnt find anything anybody have any ideas? also the mbp is running 10.4 currently not sure if that matters for these issues but i plan on loading 10.6 on it once she is up and running decently. does anybody know what connector goes to the back light and what voltage is suppose to be there?

2. jcorkin, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012

jcorkin thread starter macrumors newbie

so i took out the board that the magsafe connects too and cleaned the board throughly and re assembled and now the mbp is charging and i have audio again still no backlight though, any ideas? i have read to check fuses but all the references for the fuses are for the unibody models and mine is not a unibody model, if anybody can point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it. i would also like to add that the first couple of times that i turned on the mbp when i got a good battery in it that the backlight flashed on for a very brief second and then nothing, im wondering if it didnt possibly blow a fuse.

3. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

apple care,....prob not it sounds like it's not within the time frame

4. jcorkin thread starter macrumors newbie

no apple care on this one, just me doing all the troubleshooting and replacing of parts

5. jcorkin, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

jcorkin thread starter macrumors newbie

anybody happen to have the schematics? i tried swapping the displays from one macbook pro to the other but the connectors for the backlighting are different so that was a no go, well short of completely stripping down the display and swapping the cables as well which i might have to do as i dont want to order a new screen onlly to find out that its a problem with a fuse or something else. im just trying to avoid splitting the lcd case as i hear lots of stories about clips always breaking.