Macbook Pro screen dead after opening case

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gastropod, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Gastropod macrumors newbie

Hi everybody - long time lurker first time poster here.

My friend has a 1st gen Macbook Pro (the model just before the unibody) which I offered to upgrade the hard drive in after he was complaining he didn't have enough space. I successfully did this to mine last year so I didn't think I would have any issues doing it again.

It was all fine until I put it all back together again and fired it up, and now the screen remains blank. I can hear the hard drive whirring away and the CD drive spinning when I put the installation disk in (which now I can't get out) but nothing seems to be working. I thought it might have something to do with the new hard drive I tried to install so I swapped it back out for the old one and I still have the same problem.

I was very careful dismantling it (and have done it many times before) and I can't see anything obvious internally that would be causing this problem. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? It's bad enough this is happening but it's even worse that it isn't my computer that it's happening to...

2. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

are you getting the POST chime when you hit the power button? have you connected to an external monitor to see if you have video? does the sleep light indicator come on when the computer is powered on? it sounds like a failed video card. does this happen to be the model mbp with the nvidia 8600m gt?

3. Gastropod thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. But after hours of trying to figure out what was wrong today thinking it was the display, all it turned turned out to be was the RAM that I installed at the same time wasn't working (which I completely overlooked as a possible factor until another friend pointed it out as a possibility). But this is where it gets interesting (at least for me)...

The new 2 x 2GB ended up to be the problem after it successfully powered on when I put the old 2 x 1GB sticks back in. So I tried both 2GB sticks one at a time to see if one or both of them were faulty (or maybe just the wrong type), but none of them worked on their own either. Then I thought I would try a combination of 1x1GB and 1x2GB, and loe and behold - It then registered as having 3GB of memory installed! :confused:

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

First gen MBP motherboard has a limit with its chipset, in terms of RAM.

5. Lokrado macrumors regular

I had the exact same symptoms with my 2008 model, turns out i had to get the logicboard replaced

6. Gastropod thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I thought as much, I was just confused as to why it didn't work when I only put one 2gb stick in... I'm assuming then that Macs need to have both memory slots occupied to work?

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant