Macbook Pro Screen Decision

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lithium., May 2, 2010.

1. Lithium. macrumors newbie

Hello.

tl;dr - Does the antiglare screen on new Macbook Pros replace the black bezel around the screen with silver aluminum?

I am going to America on Tuesday and want to get a Macbook Pro while I'm out there. I've got family that said I can send the MBP to their house but when I add the high-res glossy display to the order, the shipping time goes up by 1 week (which means it probably won't arrive when I'm there).

The high-res anti-glare display is available in the nearby Apple store which I am considering getting instead.

The only thing that I'm thinking about is the aesthetics of the MBP with the anti-glare high-res display. I've heard that if you select the anti-glare option, the black bezel around the screen gets replaced with aluminum which I don't really want - is this true?

tl;dr - Does the antiglare screen on new Macbook Pros replace the black bezel around the screen with silver aluminum?

Edit:
    Just found out it does :(

[​IMG]

2. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

kinda' weird to make such an important decision based on the aesthetics of the bezel.

I would gladly trade my GlossBook Pro for an antiglare screen.

3. Asiak macrumors newbie

God that is ugly as sin compared to the black bezel.

I was also thinking of getting the anti glare option but not if it means that.

Can anyone comment on how worth it the anti glare hi res screen is?

4. emailsfh macrumors member

subjective

funny, because others of us think that the black border on the glossy screen and the black keys are ugly. i personally prefer the all-silver look, and would prefer if they went back to silver keys and silver bezel (though remain with the current unibody keyboard design). such things are subjective i suppose.

5. art gardiner macrumors member

It depends...

What do you plan on doing with your laptop? Surfing the net, email, watching movies, etc? If so, will you only be doing so in a darkened room, or with limited back/side lighting? If so, then the glossy screen may work for you.

If you plan on taking this laptop outside, or trying to view it in anything besides ideal lighting conditions (i.e. - editing bay), or at anything besides a semi-direct 180 degree angle - then I would go for the matte screen.

Computer aesthetics vs. viewing (viewable screen) aesthetics are two different animals.

Like many, I couldn't purchase a new MacBook Pro until they came out with a matte screen version. Not because of its physical cosmetic design, but because it did not fit my needs. Yours may vary, but before you purchase either, I would strongly suggest visiting an Apple store, or authorized retailer and view both for yourself.