Macbook Pro Screen Defect

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teknikal90, May 19, 2008.

1. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

hey,
    I have a penryn 2.4ghz, base model, ordered from online apple store.
    i live in australia, there are no apple stores here, only authorized service centers.im not sure the extent of service they provide.

yesterday, i was using my macbook pro and this happened...(see picture)..
    vertical lines appeared on the bottom half of my screen, appears to be a backlight issue.

i closed the macbook, pressed the top of it and when i opened again, wala! the problem is gone.

anyone encountered this?
    is this a common problem?will it get worse/relapse??should i be worried enough to send this off to a service center for repairs that possibly will give me 1 unproductive week?

what do you think the authorized service center will do??

im approaching exams so this is very untimely.
    but at the same time, i really dont want to to have my warranty run out. and have this stupid defect.

lastly, my friend told me to register my amcbook pro, to get repairs.is this necesarry??

thanks heaps guys, sorry for the big questions

- tek

Attached Files:

2. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

Sounds like it could be a loose wire or connection to the backlight. This is not normal and is not common. It likely (hopefully) wont get worse, and may never happen again. I would wait through your exam period. If it happens again, then take it in. However, if your warranty is about to expire, then I would take it to be looked at (after exams) regardless.

Standard Apple warranty (covering repairs, including yours, if required) are covered for one year. You can buy Apple Care to extend that to 3 years total. All time periods are from date of purchase. You just need the serial number (located under the battery) for tech support. You'll need this number to order Apple Care. I would recommend it.

If a repair is required, it could be as simple as plugging in the connection firmly or replacement of the whole LCD - both pretty standard repairs. Note, an out of warranty LCD replacement for a MacBook Pro runs hundreds of dollars.

3. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

its the penryn model and i bought it when it first came out, so ive stil got quite a bit of warranty left.
    i didnt get apple care because i found it was quite expensive and since there isnt an apple store here, i didnt think id be getting the full benefit of it.
    still, anyone who has encountered this problem and can clarify if its a serious problem or not??
    thanks heaps for the quick reply btw.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unless you plan to never sell your computer and will expect to be replacing your computer within a year, you will need AppleCare. It sounds like a scam for $350, but after 1 repair post-warranty, you will wish you bought AppleCare.

As with the issue at hand, you can probably get it replaced.

5. terry.mac macrumors newbie

You are not alone

I have the exact problem too. If I closed it, the problem would be gone. I have seen this problem twice in my MBP :(

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

As far as I am concerned I have seen this problem so many times on this forum that it could and should be called common. It's however not been determined if it's a hardware or a software defect so if you decide to take it for repair, can you give us some feedback to what Apple's decision was?

7. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

This is a common problem with new MBPs and I wouldn't exchange it for this problem alone, seeing as your next one will likely have the same problem.

8. bloo macrumors newbie

i have the same problem with my penryn too. this is actually the 3rd MBP they've switched out and it has the same exact problem in addition to a graphical "tearing" issue.

after talking to apple, they decided that they would give me a brand new MBP when the new model drops as well as upgrade me to the next 15" model for free. i'm just patiently waiting for the new model to be released.

9. bentarrow macrumors newbie

I seen this once with my penryn mbp. I was also stoned at the time so I thought it was the weed. I closed it and turned it back on, problem was gone. I never seen it ever since. Very weird.

10. andrewdale macrumors 6502a