MacBook Pro Screen Flashes Blue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ghoster Toaster, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Ghoster Toaster, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014

Ghoster Toaster macrumors newbie

I have a 15-inch, Late 2011 MacBook Pro running on OS X 10.9.2 and the entire screen frequently flashes a light blue/grey color for approximately .2 seconds. Sometimes it seems to be happening randomly, but with other instances it happens consistently. For example, when I use the Command + F function on Google Chrome and I type something that isn't on the page, the screen flashes the light blue/grey color.

There is also another problem that keep occurring with my MacBook Pro. When I pick it up and move it to a different location, the screen will shut off as if I closed the laptop. I always pick it up slowly as well. After about 10 seconds the screen will come back on and everything will resume.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Your Mac has been hit by Radeongate - the Radeon GPU failures that hits every single 15"/17" early/late-2011 MBPs.

Mine was hit by it too.

The only solution is a logic board replacement and even that's not a guaranteed fix, as all logic boards for these models have the same manufacturing flaw. Many people went for a logic board replacement, only to have it fail again after a week.

Your best solution is to go for a GPU reflow and reball.