MacBook Pro screen flickering - 2 genius bar appointments

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chris., Feb 27, 2011.

1. Chris. macrumors regular

Before Christmas, I booked my 13" Mid 2009 MacBook Pro into the local Apple Store due to the screen flickering randomly.

The genius replaced the screen and battery. However, after awhile I noticed that the problem was still there. So I booked another appointment, a genius ran tests that lasted about an hour. They didn't return any problems. He said that it may be a firmware issue and that I have to wait for a new one to be released by Apple :/

Any idea what I can do? Do you think Apple would release a new firmware update for a mid-2009 MacBook Pro?

Thanks..

2. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

You are being BSed. It's the MotherBoard graphics card. Go to Apple and demand a motherboard replacement.

3. Chris. thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what I thought. But according to the genius "there is nothing else it could be" o_O

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The flickering is likely due to the the GPU isn't widespread but has affected a good amount of MacBook Pro users with the NVIDIA 9400M GPU and is not due to a firmware issue. I would try to talk to the Genius Bar again or perhaps go to another Apple Store. If that doesn't help, I'd recommend calling AppleCare and speak to a CSR to help get the problem resolved.

5. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I would go to a different Apple Store and explain the situation to them.

6. Chris. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. We only have the one Apple store here. But I think I will just ask for the manager. I also have a video of it happening on my iPhone, which I can show them. If that doesn't work, I will ring AppleCare. I didn't pay the extra 2 years coverage to be messed around like this!

7. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Exactly. This is related to the GPU and your motherboard has issues or your LCD ribbon cable is loose (which is unlikely unless you have opened the machine and done upgrades)

8. Chris. thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I have upgraded the HDD - but that was last May. And they replaced the screen, so i'm sure they have made sure the cable is back in correctly.

9. Chris. thread starter macrumors regular

So, the logic board was replaced - just got it back, and its flickering again! So far, the battery, screen and logic board has been replaced...what else could it be? :/

10. Chris. thread starter macrumors regular

What is the point in having AppleCare phone support? All I got told was to take it back to the shop for the forth time and get a genius to 'diagnoses' it :/. Anyone know what I can do?

cheers

11. eaf7s macrumors regular

Request a replacement machine. Explain how long you've been trying to get it fixed and how many different ways you tried, and just say that you feel that the product is defective and that while you appreciate their efforts, you'd just prefer to have something that will definitely not have the problem. Usually after 3 of the parts have been replaced and a problem still hasn't been accurately diagnosed, they give up/decided it isn't worth the labor and parts and swap it out. It's your right under the warranty.

12. Chris. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, can the AppleCare support on the phone take care of this? Do I need to request a supervisor or something on the phone?

13. eaf7s macrumors regular

AppleCare over the phone will probably do it for you if you explain what's happened and how frustrating it's been, but that will require you shipping your computer back and forth--lots of work, lots of waiting.

I'd recommend making an appointment, talking to a manager, and pretty much insisting on a new machine since no one can figure out what's wrong with it. Be very clear that you just mean an equivalent machine--you're not fishing for a new model--but chances are just about 100% that they won't have yours in stock and you'll get a new one. Just play like you don't know that, though :D . And (duh) back your machine up!!

If they won't replace it though, that is complete BS. You've jumped through enough repair loops to warrant it.

14. Chris. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh, it's been alot of hassle. Not to mention I have fresh installed OS X about 3 times to insure its not software. Only trouble with the store is that it's very hard to get an appointment, it's always busy!

Would I need to remove my (own, upgraded) HDD from the machine, or is it ok leaving it?

15. eaf7s macrumors regular

If you want it later, take it and replace the old HDD if you kept it. It's a user-serviceable part so it shouldn't cause any problems (it hasn't thus far so I can't imagine it doing it now). You can just ask them if you can take it if/once they give you a new machine, too. Whichever you prefer. If you get a new one you'll need to do a clean OS X install anyway though (I believe) because the new machines come with a custom build of 10.6.6.

Make sure that you tell them you've reinstalled OS X a few times! It'll help your case to show that you've used a lot of your own time to cover all bases.

16. Chris. thread starter macrumors regular

Late reply to this, but Apple replaced my old MBP with the 2011" MacBook Pro, 13" Intel Core i5. After the amount of attempted repairs made on the old one. Best of all, they reset my AppleCar warranty on the new machine.

Again, Apple customer service done more than they needed. Extremely grateful.

17. HBOC macrumors 68020