MacBook Pro Screen/GFX Card Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kaphias, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Kaphias macrumors newbie

Screen issue on my 15 inch Mid-2012 Non-Retina HD MacBook Pro. Occurs after entering password to wake up from sleep. Generally happens once every 2-3 weeks, though it has happened on consecutive days once. Attempted fixes as recommended/performed by Apple Store Geniuses have included an operating system reinstall, changing sleep/wake settings, and a complete hard drive wipe/Time Machine restore.

First half of the video below shows the glitch in general, second shows what happens when the "New Screen Recording" window is opened in Quicktime. Note that the recording doesn't need to be starting for the glitch to be temporarily fixed. I'm sure this gives some indication to where in the software/hardware chain the problem is occurring, but I don't have the experience and I can't find anything about this specific glitch on the internet. I didn't know of the Quicktime "fix" when I brought the computer into the store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpSf8qiRa30

Basically looking for any information I can get. I don't have easy access to an Apple Store, but I will be able to stop by one for no more than an hour or two about three weeks from now. Ideally I'd try a complete wipe and run the computer as close to blank as possible, but because I need the computer for school/work, and the glitch may not occur for over a month, I find that unfeasable unless no other option is found. The last Genius I took the computer to indicated that if the wipe/TM restore didn't fix the issue, the next step would be to send it off to Apple for diagnostic tests. How does this process work? Can I leave the computer at a store to be shipped off, then have it sent to my home address when tests are complete?

Thanks everyone.

2. Kaphias thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran the Apple Hardware Test today and it didn't turn up anything. Also went into energy saver settings and told the computer to run on the graphics card all the time when plugged in, as opposed to switching back and forth. Just trying to find something that may give any additional information.