Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexanderasher

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Alright, so about 2 months ago, I had the same exact issue I have now. I opened my Macbook Pro out of the box on Christmas, loved it, everything worked great. Then, suddenly, there was a small chip in the center of my screen. I hadn't noticed it before, but I just assumed it was something I missed for a good while (It was around Feburary this happened, so 2 months post-purchase.) due to the fact it was only viewable on white backgrounds.

So I phone up an apple store, get the screen replaced for free due to the warranty (I'm gonna purchase applecare at some point) and went about my business (Service was excellent, too, I should mention, I took it in, went to dinner, and got it back before I went home.)

Now... about the same length of time after, my screen has the same exact issue. This time, I took a photo (Using the only way I could possibly think of)

http://imgur.com/4ydm8t7

See it? Minor discoloration, like a scratch, then the speck beside it. That's part of the screen (The rest is lint, sorry, I just cleaned it with a microfiber but didn't get lint off)

So, what the heck? Same amount of time for the problem to occur. Is this a common issue? Should I look into having them replace my entire machine? Should I start putting a microfiber cloth down when I close it? What?

Also, side note, anyone know if the warranty will cover yet another screen replacement?

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Alright, so about 2 months ago, I had the same exact issue I have now. I opened my Macbook Pro out of the box on Christmas, loved it, everything worked great. Then, suddenly, there was a small chip in the center of my screen. I hadn't noticed it before, but I just assumed it was something I missed for a good while (It was around Feburary this happened, so 2 months post-purchase.) due to the fact it was only viewable on white backgrounds.

So I phone up an apple store, get the screen replaced for free due to the warranty (I'm gonna purchase applecare at some point) and went about my business (Service was excellent, too, I should mention, I took it in, went to dinner, and got it back before I went home.)

Now... about the same length of time after, my screen has the same exact issue. This time, I took a photo (Using the only way I could possibly think of)

http://imgur.com/4ydm8t7

See it? Minor discoloration, like a scratch, then the speck beside it. That's part of the screen (The rest is lint, sorry, I just cleaned it with a microfiber but didn't get lint off)

So, what the heck? Same amount of time for the problem to occur. Is this a common issue? Should I look into having them replace my entire machine? Should I start putting a microfiber cloth down when I close it? What?

Also, side note, anyone know if the warranty will cover yet another screen replacement?

Hi OP, what kind of MacBook Pro do you have; retina or non-retina screen? How are you cleaning your computer? (ie, do you only use microfiber cloth?). Perhaps, there is something on your keyboard that is contacting the screen when you close it?

My 2010 MacBook Pro non-retina screen is in immaculate condition; I don't clean it too often, but I'll sweep across the screen with a dry microfiber cloth on occasion. No damage on mine as far as I could tell. Sent from my MacBook Air.

alexanderasher

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
It's a Retina. Should have mentioned so. And I clean it weekly, actually. Microfiber for the screen, and I (LIGHTLY) run a clorox disinfectant wipe on the body. Sometimes on the screen, too, but I always finish the cleaning with a microfiber cloth. It's 15" Retina model.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the clorox bleach and its cloth might be too harsh for the display. I'd use a moist (with water) microfiber cloth, thats it.

alexanderasher

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
I think the clorox bleach and its cloth might be too harsh for the display. I'd use a moist (with water) microfiber cloth, thats it.

Understandable. Will take note for future use, and the replacement display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.