Macbook Pro screen glitches, Image Distortion, freeze and shift

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tutim76, Feb 27, 2014.

1. tutim76 macrumors newbie

Hi Community!

My macbook pro (15", early 2011) started having screen glitches about a month ago ( Image Distortion, splitting screen, vertical & horizontal blue lines, etc). Most of the times I have to force quit it. I sometimes able to boot it in safe mode, and then restart it regularly. I also updated my version to maverick...I thought it might help...but the problem continues.

I've attached the console report (I'm not able to paste it in my post) from the moment I put it to sleep last night until I had to force quit it this morning...Can someone please help me understand the problem?

Thank you in advance,

Mey

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It sounds like you're incurring a hardware failure. The screen glitches are possibly due to the GPU failing and the KPs are just another symptom.

I'd take it into Apple and see what they say.

3. tutim76 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

I'm afraid maflynn is right its the GPU. The early 2011 MBP GPU problem is huge. Huge amounts of them are failing, now including mine. The problem is the lead free solder they used to secure the GPU to the board is breaking down. There are 2 fixes :

1) Take it to apple and they will replace the logic board which includes the GPU. This doesn't fix the problem forever (as that solder will break down too) but if the logic board is new it should delay it again by 2 years.

2) This problem has become so prevalent that there are actually companies on ebay in the UK + USA which are offering a actual replacement of the GPU and a full re-ball of the solder.

If you have applecare I would just take the free apple repair. If you don't then its up to you. It would really be better if apple just owned up and instituted a repair programme.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's the infamous Radeongate fiasco.

There's been hundreds, if not thousands, of people with 2011 MBPs having the Radeon GPU blow up on them.