Macbook Pro screen goes out while booting up!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by justjess22, Aug 27, 2008.

1. justjess22 macrumors newbie

justjess22

I've had my Macbook Pro for almost a year. I booted it up yesterday and the monitor goes out while trying to boot. The computer launches, yet screen stays off? Help!
    :(

2. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

First put it out, remove the battery, then put in the battery, put in the power cord, then try to boot with apple-alt-p-r pressed, that should reset, after the big tune let go of the keys, wait.
    If it doesn't boot up properly, go to the Apple Store back. Certainly if you had it ALMOST for a year and you don't happen to have applecare on it.

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

can you see any image on the screen without the backlight or is it completely off?

proper SMC reset procedure is as follows:
    1. remote power by taking out the battery and removing the magsafe.
    2. hold power button for 5 seconds. Re-insert battery and magsafe.

4. ajhaji macrumors regular

I am experiencing this exact problem. I get no video on boot, yet the computer boots successfully and I can access it over the network. I suspect it is related to this big NVIDIA failing GPU issue. There is no fix for it yet, though it's probably going to require replacing the GPU.

I have been able to boot the Mac successfully twice since this problem started occurring. I've been running it now for over 24 hours, and I'm having no issues. If you are able to get it running, make sure you don't restart it or shut it down--it might take you hours to get it working again!