MacBook Pro Screen Hinge question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by STxMacUser, Dec 6, 2010.

1. STxMacUser macrumors member

STxMacUser

On another post...I indicated that I bought a MacBook Pro 13 inch laptop loaded up with all the goodies and decided to cancel my order due in part to possibly saving by installing my own SSD and RAM. I did not really mention the main reason that I cancelled my order....

I did not mention that I went to a local Best Buy and checked out the 13 inch MacBook Pro on display. I was kind of shocked to note the amount of wiggle that was present on the display screen of the 13 inch. I read another thread about the screen becoming loose and wobbly on the 13 inch MBP after time.

Does this occur on the 15 and 17 inch models as well?

I have a 3-4 year old 15 inch MBP and the screen is still solid as a rock. I hate to spend dollars on a lesser quality product so I thought I would ask if this screen weakness comes with all of the newer MacBook Pro models.

(I did not check out the 15 or 17 inch models at Best Buy...but I intend to go back and see if they are weak also). I want to buy a 15 inch MBP...so I hope that they are solid as a rock as my older MBP.

Please advise...

2. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

What you have to bear in mind I suppose is that a demo machine in a shop, particularly one as 'high profile' as a MBP, will get far, far more use and abuse than one you yourself owned from new. Anecdotal evidence (a few friends who own MBPs who have not noticed this screen wiggle a year or two down the line)suggests that this may be the case.

3. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I have the model you're interested in, and I can assure you it's very robust, durable, and extremely well made. As noted by the post above, what you experienced in the store is a direct result of the massive amount of abuse demo models are subject too.

I wouldn't worry in the slightest, yours will be every bit as solid and smooth as your previous experience was. I own all three, 13, 15, & 17" sizes of the current generation and they are simply stellar.

Cheers... :)

4. STxMacUser thread starter macrumors member

STxMacUser