MacBook Pro Screen Issue after Installing Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marlon_JBT, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

OK, I searched and found this issue on AppleDefects but nothing on MacRumors.

So I decided to install Windows because I needed to use a piece of software and I didn't feel like using the software on our 9 year old HP desktop. I've installed Windows/BootCamp before but that was back in the Tiger days. I had no issues and removed Windows promptly after I was done with it.

Anyway, I used "Startup Disk" in System Preferences to start up in Windows, and my screen looked blue/greenish/fuzzy. I restarted the computer (back into Windows) and everything looked fine. Fluke I thought. Windows doesn't belong on a Mac anyway right? :D

Did what I had to do, went back to OS X, no issues.

Then I went back to Windows again, there goes that fuzzy issue.

But guess what? Now it won't go away. :( And the issue appears in OS X now!!!

Here's what it looks like:

[​IMG]

But here's the kicker... it doesn't happen on an external monitor...

What do I do here? :(

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I saw a similar problem with an old Dell laptop a customer brought in. I believe it could be either the LCD panel itself or the LVDS cable that connects it to the logic board i dont remember exactly. But take it in the applestore or service provider and have it looked at. The dell outputted fine to an external monitor like yours, eliminating a bad GPU/VRAM and other components.

As far as Windows causing the issue, it probably was a fluke.

3. Marlon_JBT thread starter macrumors 6502

Surely there's gotta be someone who has been through this and has a fix.

Warranty = No More. :(

4. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

ouch! I feel for ya man. :(

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I'm seeing the same after insttalling windows through boot camp. A couple of good boots,then in Windows crappy color and fuzzy, and then a couple good boots to OS X, and then the same in OS X.

I took my MBP apart and checked that the cable was secure to logic board, no change. I think the monitor is going out. The whole boot camp thing has me wondering now though.

Hope someone has a fix.

Brian

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I found this on Apple Discussions.

It absolutely appears to be related to installing windows on bootcamp, and then installing the drivers from the leopard DVD. Sad, but maybe apple can fix this.

Resetting the PRAM or something like that fixed it.

Do this:
    Restart,

At Restart Hold Down cmd+option+P+R It will reboot again pretty quickly if mine is any indicator, let go, and mine looks perfect again!

Woo Hoo!

Best, and hope it works,

Brian

7. antmo macrumors member

did you try resetting the pram? sometimes hardware gets register values saved in pram, so resetting would clear them out, in the event that's the problem in this case...

reboot and hold down option-command-p-r

it should then reboot again...keep holding those keys down and let it reboot again.

you'll notice that the default screen brightness will go to max and the volume will be near max. doing this clears any hardware settings which are stored in firmware.

i'm not saying this will fix it, but it's worth a try...

mjb

8. Marlon_JBT thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, I'll try some of these solutions when I get home. Right now my 12" PowerBook is serving me well at the moment. :)

9. Marlon_JBT thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you!

THANK YOU!!

THANK YOU!!!

Back to normal now and all is well again.

(Now if only I could solve that clicking issue...)

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

wow that is very interesting. Learn something new everyday!

i wonder if that Dell at work could do the same thing...but do dells have PRAM? i could try resetting CMOS..