Macbook Pro screen off when waking from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dobomode, Feb 17, 2008.

1. dobomode macrumors newbie

Can you guys help me troubleshoot this issue, before I call Apple support?

I've got an MBP 2.2 GHz with Leopard 10.5.2 on it. I have this recurring problem: I put the laptop to sleep overnight, and then the next day when I open the lid, the screen never turns on. Everything else seems to be OK - caps lock is working, backlit keyboard shortcuts are working, I can hear the hard drive spinning, etc.

I tried to address this by turning off safe sleep mode, but that didn't make a difference. Why could this be happening? The only peripheral I have is an external Firewire hard drive.

Thanks!

2. djellison macrumors 68020

3. dobomode thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes!

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Does iStat cause this problem? It's been happening to me since Leopard and I couldn't figure out why.

Does the iStat "update" help anything (I haven't bothered to download it yet)?

5. djellison macrumors 68020

Well - I read in another similar thread that iStat's networking segment causes the problem, and that the update that supposedly fixes it, doesn't.

I had this problem on my MBP two days ago - and had iStat installed. I did a complete re-install ( with a manual bit-by-bit migration, not an Apple one ) - and the problem, sans iStat, is gone.

Doug

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

So in other words, me deleting iStat now won't necessarily help as I won't commit to a full reinstall (too much time).

I wish I knew what was going on though, because the problem does persist even after 10.5.2. :eek:

7. dobomode thread starter macrumors newbie

I uninstalled iStat Pro and removed it from the dashboard folder. The issue is still present! My mac would just come on from sleep mode with the screen turned off. I am able to turn it back on by hitting Fn-F7, but then it would be at full brightness and stay that way until I restart it.

8. DaLurker macrumors 6502

The recent graphics update is causing problems when waking from sleep. I heard that reverting to the older kext solves the problems. See here

9. GloStix macrumors member

I'm having this problem too. I would open the lid and the screen would be black yet the computer would wake up. You could here the cd-rom make it's regular noise when it boots/wakes up. I could even here the 'blip' noises that you hear when you change the volume. I could even press the power button and then press enter to shut off the mac! which definitely means that the screen is just... not on.. and adjusting screen brightness doesn't work.

Could this really be iStat? because have that widget also.
    I don't think it's what the above poster is linking to though. those are graphical errors.

10. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

I have had this issue as well, all I do to fix it is to close the lid again, and open it slowly.

11. katieparker macrumors newbie

Has anyone hear whispers of an fix/update from Apple?

My MBP is my DVD player, and it's very annoying not being able to use my TV as an external display without keeping the lid open. Plus, I'm having the issue in other situations as well, and have restarted my computer many, many times this week because of it.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That doesn't always work for me. :(

Sometimes I'm forced to restart completely. It's been very time consuming and frustrating.
    I have noticed that this week was worse than others (perhaps it's what's going around :p).

13. GloStix macrumors member

I'm restarting more so now than I did on PC because of this bug

14. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Try causing a hardware interrupt (plug in a new piece of hardware and unplug it, etc), or try closing the lid again after it resumes from sleep and once the light on the front turns on re-open it before it goes to sleep again, it should jog it back to life.

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Removing iStat, then installing the latest version has worked for me.