Macbook Pro Screen Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Danduffy4, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Danduffy4 macrumors newbie

I recently acquired a Macbook Pro Unibody 13.3" 2009 model. The computer turns on and works perfectly when attached to an external monitor, but the screen itself will not work. Does anyone know if the problem is just the LCD being broken? Or is there something else that could be wrong with the computer preventing the screen from working?

I ask because if just the LCD is damaged, I will buy a replacement LCD and have someone put it in.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

It could be the screen, the LVDS cable, or the logic board. The screen is not easy to replace on that machine. Really, the only way to know which it is would be to swap out parts. You can't get educated guesses based on symptoms, but if the screen isn't explicitly broken, it could be any of those.

3. Danduffy4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, im going to have the LCD replaced and hope it works.

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

5. Danduffy4 thread starter macrumors newbie

If it provides any more insight on what the problem is, I was told a "tad bit" of water was spilt where the macbook folds. This would probably mean it's the lcd or the cable itself?

6. Detrius macrumors 68000

Open it up and look for any corrosion near where the LVDS cable plugs in. Check both sides of the logic board. Also check for burnt pins on the connector on the board or any burnt chips.

Unfortunately, small spills usually only cause splotches on the screen itself, but there's a lot of power going through that area of the board.

7. Hmac macrumors 68020

No, that would more likely mean a component of the logic board.