Macbook Pro Screen problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by balinmar, Jan 16, 2009.

1. balinmar macrumors newbie

Hey guys, this is my very first post.

I recently bought a used macbook pro with still 2 years of Applecare. the problem is that the screen has some issues..ive searched all over the net to find something like it but havent had any luck. i want to see if you guys have any idea what this is and if applecare will cover it? ive posted some pictures so that you guys can see what im talking about. it seams like 2 lines of light on the display (more like in a light bolt shape, since they arent straight). they are more noticable when i have something white on the display....the darker my images get, the less the lines are noticable. will applecare cover this??

also, the superdrive wont read DVD-Rs...it will read CDs and original DVDs but not DVD-Rs. will applecare fix this free of charge??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

My old one did that, but the iChat icon covered it, I never bothered to get it looked at since the nearest repair depot is 800KM away.

But in the end beer got spilled on it, and since I had full accidental insurance, I got a shiny new 2.53GHz MacBook Pro.

3. BBCuk macrumors newbie

BBCuk

:confused:

4. balinmar thread starter macrumors newbie

has anyone gotten something like this fixed???

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Those two bolt like white lines on the screen are where someones knocked it. Applecare wont fix it free of charge, they will charge $1200 for a replacement screen, but its possible to do it yourself for much less, however doing this will void the warranty.

Apple will however fix your superdrive free of charge.

6. balinmar thread starter macrumors newbie

do you know what they are called so i can look up more information on it?? so you're saying that this is because someone hit the screen?? the thing is that there arent any dents nor scratches on the laptop :S so how could it have happened?

7. balinmar thread starter macrumors newbie

8. balinmar thread starter macrumors newbie

did you knock you computer somewhere?? or did it just happen??

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

there doesnt need to be any dents, it could even be a gentle tap or being in a bag and a book knocking it. You'd be suprised how easy it is.

10. balinmar thread starter macrumors newbie

how sad :( ...guess im screwed then. I hate how apple care doesnt cover these kinds of things, ive been reading other posts about "accidental damages". It should cover it since it is so weak and fragile in the first place.

11. balinmar thread starter macrumors newbie

good news...i just took it to an apple replace center and they said my screen had burnt pixel, they are going to change my screen free of charge because of the applecare, and replace my superdrive. they said they would replace my battery as well since i was only getting 47% health with only 180 cycles after only a year of use. i hope they dont change their minds about anything and call me after a day or two :S haha.

12. isaki87 macrumors regular

Its always better to take the unit to the Apple Store and see what the Genius says before one start to speculate.