Macbook Pro Screen problems.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smali, Dec 8, 2011.

1. smali macrumors regular

I have a strange screen problem with my macbook pro 15" 2011 model.

I start seeing some very weird colours and the fonts go very pale grey and jagged.

It happens every hour or so and goes away if I change the resolution of the screen back and forwards.

Here are some photos, I tried to do screenshots on the macbook but when I looked at the photos on a diff computer I couldn't see the strange colours. Must mean there is a problem with the actual screen or graphics card?

Problem is the Blue area in the quick look window:
    [​IMG]

Close up of youtube video:
    [​IMG]

Photo on Macrumors front page, notice strange colours on iMac bottom half:
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any ideas? I havent tried clean reinstalling everything yet but its a last resort atm (got way too many apps, plugins).

Also because it is very random in when it happens I don't know how to approach the Apple support about this, I'm sure they want to see this problem on the machine or will my photos be enough to get a repair?

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

First of all, I don't think you are having a software problem, so a reinstall shouldn't be necessary, but you should be prepared to help yourself if you're coming here asking for help.

Second, if you want Apple to help you, you're going to have to take it in to an AASP or an Apple store and let them run diagnostics on it. There are no two ways about it.

You have a couple of options, you could wait until it fails completely (or becomes more regular), or you can take it in and hope that their diagnostics catches it now.

If it were my computer, I'd take it in now. Take your photos with you and show them.

3. smali thread starter macrumors regular

Hi thanks for your response :)

Im sorry if I came across unwilling to help myself, wasn't my intention.

I will take your advise and go to Apple, I was just worried that they might not believe me since I can't reproduce the problem on demand.

Again thanks for your help.

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Sorry if I came off a little aggressive about the whole 'helping yourself' thing. My bad.

Make sure you give them all the information you gave us here, also consider taking a picture of the screen displaying your serial number while you are having the issue. Its not definitive by any stretch, but it will definitely help your case if the issue doesn't present in front of the technician.

If it happens every hour like you said, they will definitely see it.

Did you buy Applecare, by any chance?

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

make a backup of your HDD. It sounds like you don't have one, otherwise reinstalling the OS wouldn't be a big deal.

Apple doesn't guarantee for your data and applications during the repair. That's why you should back up before you bring it in.

6. smali thread starter macrumors regular

Some nice additional advice there, didn't think about having the serial number showing!

Yes I have educational 3 year Applecare but I ran out on the phone support. I'll try and get some more photos when it happens again. Ill update what happens might be useful for someone else.

Thanks again.

----------

I do have two separate backups on external HD.

I thought if I restore from it it will just bring back the problem if its software related? Sorry I'm not great with computers :p

7. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure about the educational Applecare, but if you got the box with the disk in it with your Applecare you actually have a diagnostic tool that you could run yourself. Did you get the box with Applecare?

Thundersteele is right, a backup is never a bad idea before taking your computer in for repair. Sounds like you have one already, though.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I understand. You're probably right. The option would be to make a fresh install of the OS, and then see if the problem reappears. Then you would know whether it's a software issue.
    Anyways, this sounds and looks much more like a hardware issue. Have Apple check it.