MacBook Pro Screen Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mlb821, Jan 17, 2008.

1. mlb821 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased my MacBook Pro this past August. I have just now encountered very bizarre problems with the screen. When I turn the computer on, the display would shake and flicker and fade from black to white. I believe this could be a hardware issue because it only presents this problem when I open the laptop up and turn it on. Here is the link of what the screen looks like. I'm bringing in to the Apple Store because they told me they wouldn't take a look at it until I had evidence that there was in fact a problem. I was just wondering what anyones input is on this problem. Any questions or comments would be awesome, thanks!!

[​IMG]

this is what the screen looks like. I took a picture of it earlier this evening. It finally went away and it is acting normal but I can not get it back to this problem. It only happens randomly.:mad:

2. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I have a similar issue and think its probably a driver issue. Reason being when I put in my old hard drive and re-installed leopard in preparation to bring it back to Apple, I could no long reproduce the issue.

It happens to me usually immediately after bootup or waking from sleep. Usually the artifacts go away but sometimes they stay and I would have to sleep the computer and re-wake it.

If you take it in to the Genius, please let me know what they're resolution is for you!

I have yet to find a solution that works on the software end :(

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

No idea what the problem is, but . . . try ctrl/option/cmmd/8. This changes the display from b&w to w&b. Do it twice in a row. Might force it back to normality. Or not.

4. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Thanks I'll give that a shot next time it happens!

On another note, I downloaded Onyx and ran a clear cache on my system. Hopefully that might solve things. I'll keep you guys posted :)

5. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Clearing the cache's with Onyx didn't fix things. I just reinstalled leopard to see if that'll fix it.

6. DaLurker macrumors 6502

So no change, its going to the Apple Store today. I'll report back on the results.

7. mlb821 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sent MBP to be fixed

I took my computer in and just my luck, it presented this same issue and then some. It went completely black and my screen acted as if it was having an epilepsy. Everyone at the genius bar looked at it as if it was entertaining them while I was worrying my computer was about to crash. They said it must be a hardwear issue inside the laptop and they will have to send it out to a Apple repair service. I will get it back at the most 2 weeks. Hopefully they will fix it this problem. I wonder if it was just defective or anyone else encounter this same issue??

8. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Ouch. Sorry to hear about this. I bought my MBP in August as well. Hope it doesn't happen to my computer. Good luck!

9. shikamimagic macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problem. Do keep us updated.

Since I'm in college right now, I simply could not part with my computer for two weeks. :confused:

10. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I went by the Apple store at Yorkdale Mall (Toronto) on Wed Jan 23rd 2008 and luckily was able to reproduce the issue for the Geniuses. They took it and contacted me on Thursday saying it would require a clamshell (LCD) and logic board replacement. They're still waiting on parts as of Today (Saturday) so hopefully I should get it back Monday or Tuesday.

Looks like a hardware issue guys :(

11. mlb821 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just curious... Does this seem to be a common issue for macs?? Should I invest in getting the Apple Care Plan for my laptop? It's 350 for 3 more years of warranty coverage..I don't want my warranty to end this coming August with another problem with my LCD screen and have to pay for the repair...

12. little.elph macrumors newbie

My Screen Has Epilepsy

I have a MacBook....Its about a year and a half old. And the screen flashes from dark to lighter when its about to go into sleep mode/the screen saver.

Anyone have any ideas about what this could be?