MacBook Pro Screen Protection? (Applies to any glossy screen model)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dougaha18, Jun 28, 2012.

1. dougaha18 macrumors member

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It works, but like the ones for your devices you'll notice the "rainbow effect" when looking at white.

3. dougaha18 thread starter macrumors member

Do the higher quality protectors give the same effect too? I've never experienced that on the iPhone and iPad.

4. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

I imagine someone will come out with something extremely high quality that matches up perfectly with the rMBP's single-pane design.

5. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

Unlikely look at any of the high end IPS panels and the anti glare is definitely noticeable.

6. dougaha18 thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean?

7. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

I don't know what you mean. The rMBP doesn't have *any* anti-glare added. It happens to reduce glare by about 75% because it is a bare exposed LCD glass panel. Most (nearly all) other laptops have a second layer of protective glass which increases the reflections because there are multiple surfaces.

And that's what I meant by single-pane. ALL displays start out glossy. Matte displays have a coating/layer applied to them. So what I'm saying is, the rMBP is a bare LCD, which most are not, meaning a matte screen/application should be very close to a factory matte if you get it applied well.

8. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

I meant matte IPS panels, for example compare the Dell U2711 to the Apple Thunderbolt display, same LG panel (albeit the Dell uses a wide gamut backlight).

What I meant was that in the case of LCD panels with anti matte properties it is just an adhesive layer glued (or otherwise) to the polarizer. Yes the glass of the panel itself is inherently glossy. With traditional glossy displays there is then a plastic or glass layer over the initial glass layer without having an anti matte layer.

Factory matte in most cases still has a "rainbow" effect. Whether you think it is noticeable is purely subjective but it is there. I have two Dell displays and I most definitely can notice the anti matte layer on top.

9. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Ahh. It appeared you were arguing against glossy displays. I was confused. But yeah, I don't like matte displays partially for that reason. It's "flat" and at times distracting. I find in the rare situations I run into glare on a glossy screen, I can just adjust the tilt or move a bit.

10. dougaha18 thread starter macrumors member

That makes sense. Have you seen any rMBP with an AG screen protector applied?

Sorry if my title was confusing. I wanted anyone with a glossy display MacBook to be able to give an opinion on the screen protector, even though the model I'm looking at is the Retina MacBook Pro.

11. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

12. boto macrumors 6502

boto

13. dougaha18 thread starter macrumors member

14. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I've order from power support many times.

I have one for my 2010 MBP, iPad and my phone.
    However the anti glare on the mbp was impossible to use. Made the screen very grainy. I took it off the 3rd day or else I'd have ended up with glasses and threw it away and never looked back.

15. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

With as beautiful as the RMBP screen is, i dont know if i could impede that by putting something on top of it to protect it. I have never had protection on any of my other Macbooks and they have been fine...

16. dougaha18 thread starter macrumors member