macbook pro screen protectors vs thin foam one that it comes with

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have looked at a couple of screen protectors for the macbook pro, & wondered if the piece of thin foam that comes with a new macbook pro that fits between the keyboard & screen? could this be used as a screen protector? or would a bought screen protector made by another company be better?

2. NKT macrumors regular

We've been using the foam sheet that came with my wife's Macbook since buying it in '08. It works well enough but is getting kind of beat up. Now that I have my MBP we're coughing up the dough to get some ShaggyMac's. They're not only screen protectors, but also double as screen cleaning cloths ;)

So moral of the story is, you can use the foam that it comes with or buy a purpose made cloth. It's really up to you. Both will work.

3. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

anybody know if those shaggymac's fit the new macbook's and macbook pro's? or/and is there another brand out there that i should look out for instead of shaggymac?

i have the latest macbook pro 13" and i would like to get one of those screen protecters.

thanks

4. fongyuen macrumors 6502

i've used the one that came with the mbp for over 2 years now, still holding up.

5. NKT macrumors regular

I will let you know soon. Our Shaggies should be here by the weekend.

6. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

great, i'll look out.

do you guys think screen protecters would push keys down a bit when lid closed? if so, would that be a issue?

thanks

7. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I've used that foam piece that came with mine, works great, I have separate microfiber clothes I use to wipe.

8. Reapur macrumors regular

the iKlean spray/microfiber kit you buy in the Apple Store includes a keyboard cloth that is cut just to the size of the keyboard and can be used to wipe the screen too if you like.

The kit was about 30 bucks.

9. NKT macrumors regular

As promised here are pictures of our new ShaggyMac's we ordered:

(Click for larger view)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I quite pleased with how they fit and think they're worth the money versus the foam. But as I said, the foam will work just fine if you don't feel like shelling out money.

10. NKT macrumors regular

I figured I'd also mention, there are discount codes on the net. I used one and got 10% off. It's not a lot but it at least paid for the shipping :cool:

11. myke323 macrumors regular

Long time mac user, just ordered my first MBP.

So you put this foam thing in there every time you close it? Is it necessary? What if you don't put anything in there at all? It would seem to me that you shouldn't need to put anything in there, that it should be manufactured in a way that just shutting it should protect everything.

12. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

Thank you NKT

13. NKT macrumors regular

Some people have found that the screen will still contact the keyboard. I've seen it on previous laptops (non-Mac). To me, it's a cheap investment to insure that doesn't happen with my new baby :cool:

14. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I always keep mine. I use them for as long as I own them.

Cheers,

15. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

the screen has a glass covering. it can't and will not scratch from contact w/ the plastic keyboard. and, it is just unfounded fears, Macs are built better than pc laptops so the hinges are much better. as such the keyboard won't contact the screen.

16. NKT macrumors regular

A simple Google search would seem to contradict that statement.

17. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I saw so many Powerbooks with this issue at work it became habit to use it. Usually won't have a problem with the newer systems unless too much pressure is applied in a stuffed backpack or briefcase.

Doesn't harm anything to keep it.

Cheers,

18. macdog24 macrumors newbie

I just got a new MBP 15" with the high-res antiglare screen. Does the fact that the screen is recessed more w/o the glass mean that I don't have to worry as much about it coming into contact w/ the keyboard? I haven't been using the foam insert that came with it, but I do worry sometimes about squeezing the middle of the laptop and try to hold it by the edges so as not to press the screen into the keyboard, if that can happen. It feels like there's some flex in the middle of the screen. Can it crack if you squeeze too hard with the laptop closed or if it's pressing against something else in a bag?

19. iambasil macrumors regular

My 4yr old macbook got a very slight mark from contact with the keyboard area... however it was not the keys that did it - it was the edge of the indent (the shallow where the keyboard is) just above.

I got a keyboard protector with my Tucano microfibre sleeve that (just about) covers the shallow.

20. amoergosum macrumors 6502

I purchased a Macbook Pro 2011.
    I'm wondering if I should keep using the thin foam which came with it.
    Why did they put it between the screen and the keyboard if it's not necessary?

21. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

I've always used a Radtech screen protector over my keyboard and was very happy with it, but I thought I'd order one from ShaggyMac because it was a couple of dollars cheaper. I was disappointed with it because the fabric is so thin and seems to be of a much cheaper quality than the Radtech protector. I ordered another one from Radtech and am much happier. It doesn't interfere with the lid closing at all, as it is made for each size MacBook Pro. You can also order a sleeve in the same material as the screen protector.:)

22. zer0sum macrumors member

Actually it can and will.

I scratched the hell out of a 15" 2008 because I was dragging it around the world in a heavily loaded messenger bag.

I even had individual key marks :(