Macbook Pro Screen Quality?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jake381, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Jake381 macrumors member

Question: Is the screen quality on the unibody macbook pro identical to the unibody macbook? As in, if a 15" unibody macbook screen was produced, would it be identical (all other factors held) to a macbook pro screen?

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Not even close. The MacBook's screen is similar in brightness, but that's it. The Pro's has a much wider viewing angle, better contrast (from deeper black levels, no less), and somewhat better color.

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I've always found the Macbook screens to be kind of "washed" in color and just everything.

Macbook Pro screens are definitely deeper and richer. It doesn't have like a white tint that is overlayed on Macbook screens.

4. Jake381 thread starter macrumors member

So the LED technology is different in the two products?
    I have noticed the difference in blacks, but nothing else.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

No, it's the same. The LCD technology in the panel itself is the same too, except the MB has a mediocre implementation of it, whereas the Pro has a very good implementation of it.

6. Jake381 thread starter macrumors member

Wow... so they just aren't consistent.
    Strange.

7. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

They're quite consistent, in their class. The MacBook Pro is a product intended for design professionals. It is a premium Apple product with premium components. While still of high quality, the MacBook is a consumer oriented product, without the same need for exceptional quality displays. It is a cost issue. The MacBook would cost hundreds more with a display comparable to the MacBook Pro.

8. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

And I feel both are superseded by the Air screen.

9. jon08 macrumors 68000

What about previous gen. GLOSSY MBP vs. unibody MBPs? What I've noticed on my previous gen. glossy MBP is that you hardly notice it's glossy, unlike the glAssy unibody MBPs...but I'm not sure if they display equally rich color contrast etc. ...

Does anyone know?

10. sal macrumors 6502

the previous MBP i had a matte screen and in comparison, the screen on the unibody is so much better. the reflections can be a bit annoying, however placing it at the right angle helps minimize them.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The previous MBP was available in glossy or matte, and I completely disagree about the new screens. They're terrible, IMO. If they're intended for professionals, this pro wouldn't know it.

12. Horst Guest

Utter nonsense, I have an ancient TiBook with a display better than my MBP's.
    It's all in the usable viewing angle, and Apple didn't deliver anything decent in that respect since the G4 AluBook.

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I concur, i hardly find the new mbp screens to be "awesome" or "breathtaking", i was thoroughly disappointed when i saw it at the apple store, esp. when i tried to turn up the brightness and it was full blast already, it looked like mine does on half. LED screen technology definitely is not even close to its peak, hopefully after some time it will be more "amazing" lol