Macbook Pro screen quality

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Mar 20, 2009.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

After reading a lot about the degrading screen quality between the Unibody Macbook Pros and their predecessors, is the Unibody's screen really that bad? Honestly, I could not tell the difference in the Apple store, just that the older MBP was slightly more dim because of the matte coating, but is that all? A matte coating and lots of biased people? (Applies to the 15 inch Macbook Pro)

2. glmonte macrumors newbie

I'm really happy with the quality of the screen of my Unibody MBP.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

same here. but its a matter of personal choice. go to an apple store if you can and check them out.

4. kabunaru Guest

I think the screen quality is fine.

5. jeremybuff macrumors regular

The screen quality is not bad, I find it to be excellent. Most people just whine about it, as is evident with the numerous posts with everyone b*tching about it. Glare is glare, it happens on any screen. Some situations are worse than others, but it's not hard to tune it out. It's simply not that bad.

Let the other whine about it, just enjoy your new mbp.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

this is true actually. you eye is made to watch for objects that are moving. when you first sit down at your screen you will notice the glare but after a while of using it you eyes will no longer notice it.

7. MrCairo macrumors newbie

Of course I'm coming from an older PowerBook G4, but I think the screen quality of my new Unibody MacBook Pro is fantastic. Its all a matter of personal preference with the glossy screen. I do know that Apple Store people were willing to sell me a matte screen cover if I so desired to. However, I really like the new screen.

There is some reflection but I don't sit with the sun/lighting directly behind me so I'm actually perfectly fine with it.

8. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

The screen quality on the Unibody Macbook Pro is excellent people just say its not just because its glossy.

Its all about what you think.

9. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

It's a fine screen. I would recommend you go out to a nearby Apple Store or a similar reseller to check out the difference in the LCD panels.

10. Ploki macrumors 68000

me too. :)

11. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

12. eron macrumors 6502

It's an awesome screen. Significantly better than Dell's PVAs. I know cuz I use it beside a 2007FP PVA.

13. PDE macrumors 68020

I've had every single Apple laptop since the 540c and am notoriously picky about my displays. The current crop is the best quality display Apple has used in their laptops, but that doesn't mean that it's very good. They are still using 6-bit TN technology and because of that that these displays are generally low quality displays with poor viewing angles and color shifting. The LG panel also has considerable light bleed up the middle of the panel that can luckily only really be seen when viewing movies in the dark -- the previous LG panels were exactly the same. I think it might actually be the same panel as the previous generation, just that it looks crisper because of the glass layer.

So, IMO:

Pros:

Very bright
    Relatively good contrast for a laptop display
    Relatively even backlighting, especially compared to older MBPs

Cons:

Poor viewing angles
    Color shifts
    Limited color gamut
    Backlight bleed

For everyday, casual use these displays look great, as long as you have a desktop display for any kind of color critical work.

14. Ploki macrumors 68000

if you ask me, doing a "critical graphics work" on a laptop display day-to-day is as good as doing a critical audio work on a closed portable ipod headphones(not earplugs).

you can do something if you know its faults, but you NEED to check it on real speakers(monitor(s) ;) )

15. stevey69 macrumors regular

considering that i recently got rid of my previous gen MBP and went ahead with the unibody mbp i must say that the glossy screen of unibody is far brighter and the colors are much more vibrant.

16. NickM macrumors 6502

Every laptop I sit next to with my new MacBook Pro gets outshined :) (and I mean that in a good way)
    This is one of the nicest, most vibrant and bright screens I've come across.
    I would choose it over a matte screen any day of the year.

17. johata3 macrumors regular

I love my unibody macbook pro. Screen quality is the best! :)
    I've compared the older macbook pro models and you can tell a BIG difference!

18. golfhero macrumors member

At this stage the only thing you need to watch out for is consistent quality of the screens in the new Unibody laptops. I had to go through three until I got one without backlight bleeding and flickering - but - the latest one is awesome. Best display I have had on a laptop to date. The glare does not bother me at all.