MacBook Pro Screen Scratch Removal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ravernomina, May 11, 2010.

1. Ravernomina macrumors member

Hello all... i got a screen scratch on my Computer about 4 months ago and it is now bothering me. I want to remove it because well... i have some OCD and i would love to see a clear screen :D. Its just a small 3mm hair line scratch but i would like it gone. Because on white it makes a Kind of Rainbow effect. Now i've seen 2 methods i think that could work.

One is using a Combination of Tooth paste a Petroleum Jelly... while another is using Nail Polish Remover to buff it out.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD0Q...500312D28&playnext_from=PL&index=6&playnext=2

Anyone have what i should try and not even think of attempting?? Thanks!

I AM USING A GLOSSY LED SCREEN!!!! MACBOOK PRO 5,4

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

3. Ravernomina thread starter macrumors member

Will it work on Glossy screens?

4. Ravernomina thread starter macrumors member

5. Ravernomina thread starter macrumors member

Just tried the Tooth Paste Method... It did not work... I wanna try the Nail polish remover Method but im Deathly afraid of Messing up my screen worse. I do not care about the glossy screen. Just so i can see my screen with out the scratch there... please assist someone?

6. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

WTF nail polish remover? Yeahhh...that doesn't sound good to me. Acetone is not for everything.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

NOOOO! Nail polish remover will make it much worse!!!

You couold try the carious scratch removers out there, like:

http://www.amazon.com/PodShop-iDrops-Cleaner-Scratch-Remover/dp/B0006V7QAK

Though to be honest, I doubt it'll work, and again you might risk making things worse. You might be better off just living with the scratch.

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

best advice thus far :]

9. Bradan macrumors member

It’s glass, you're not getting it off. The aforementioned methods are trying to polish it off; it's not really going to happen.

Deal with it or sell it and buy a new one because a new display assembly will cost upwards of 400$ as the glass is glued on.

10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

How about a torch? JK.

I don't think acetone would damage a piece of glass but who knows what Apple might coat that glass with.

I seriously doubt there's a way to get a scratch out of a display. I think you're going to have to replace the entire display to fix it. Sorry for the bad news but shortcuts here will surely make the situation worse.

11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

you could just replace the glass or polish the glass to remove the scratch.

Probably buying a replacement piece of glass, a suction cup, and heat gun would be the easiest way to handle it, and would probably cost less than $100 (if you buy a cheap heat gun).

techrestore.com will replace your display with a matte display for $199 or replace the glass only for $219