MacBook Pro Screen Stays Dark when Booting Up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGuy1980, Jul 20, 2009.

1. AppleGuy1980 macrumors member

Hi everyone, I have an MBP about 2 yrs. old. This morning when booting up, the computer made the chime sound and appeared to turn on but the screen stayed completely dark. I tilted it around and tried to see if the backlight was just dead, but there appears to be absolutely nothing on the screen. Furthermore, the little light that normally pulses while the computer is sleeping is on, though not pulsing, anyone know what's going on?

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

It sounds like there is a logic board problem, and the display+the sleep indicator are now malfunctioning. Try waiting a healty amount of time, and then try to log in. Try doing something that would make the Funk error noise, and check whether or not the computer is working, or if the entire computer is bad. The OS is sound, because the Mac should boot up and show the Boot Selection screen without any OS. Did you drop it, or expose it to water? If you are certain that you did not contribute to the problem, then take it to the Apple Retail Store. Genius Bar usually can order more parts for you.

3. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

Jabbamk1

Could be a graphic card problem. Try inserting the mac os x repair disc and see if it boots up at all. If it does try repairing the install. If not it is most likely the logic board + GFX card. take it to apple for a repair.

4. bamf macrumors 6502

This has happened on my MBP as well - but usually when waking from sleep. I can typically just close the lid again and once it sleeps open it back up and the screen is working.

You may want to power the machine all the way off and then back on as well if the above doesn't work.

I've never figured out why this happens though...

5. kjbalto macrumors newbie

similar problem

I know nothing of Mac's, but a friend of mine gave me his to see if I could figure out what's wrong. I'm a pc guy, but I figured hardware is hardware. Anway, he's not sure what happened, but he noticed some water on the table, near his laptop. When you power it on, you hear the chime, and you can faintly see the apple sign, and then you can faintly see the screen that says none of your wirelss connections are available. I replaced the inverter board and the cable connecting to it, and it's still not coming up. I could visibly see corrosion from water on those parts, so I figured that would fix the problem. Now, when I look at the screen, I can faintly see something like maybe smears on the inside of the screen. I'm wondering if water got in there. What would you guys recommend? I was going to get a whole new lcd kit, but is it possible it's the logic board? How do I figure out what's wrong, without replacing one by one?