macbook pro screen..won't turn on!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 88888888, Oct 27, 2010.

1. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

Hi, I was using my early 2008 macbook pro earlier.. and then I put it to sleep.. 30 mins layer.. I open the lid, the cd-rom drive whirls but the screen doesnt show up, So i put it to sleep again and tried opening the lid, but still no cigar.. So i held the power button to shut it off, then i tried turning it on, again but screen still not showing up.. (the hard drive disc is spinning) each time i bring it back to sleep or hold power button. Then i took out the battery and put it back.. still doesnt work.

What's wrong...!! argghh.. my midterms are next week.. i need my notes.
    could it be my 8600gt is gone? I don't play games.. or do video editing.. so i dunno why it would die.

2. mr0c macrumors regular

mr0c

That's what happened to my late 2007 MBP ... bugged the heck out of me to start then realised it (the graphics card) was toast ;-)

Take it into an apple store to get it checked out.

3. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Argghh efing A..
    right when I have effing midterms.
    How much is it without applecare?

4. DanD81 macrumors newbie

Yap, most likely your nVidia 8600.. happend to me three weeks ago. You can be quite sure that it is the graphics card and not broken Ram or anything if the sleep light is glowing constantly, but not on full power.

5. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. DanD81 macrumors newbie

Yes, but technically the graphics card is on the logic board, so in any case it is the logic board :D

But anyway, you should have it checked because normally Apple replaces the logic board free of charge if the problem is indeed the nVidia chip.

7. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok update.. on the situation. So later the night when I got home.. I decided to give it another go. I tried turning it on.. but the battery was out. So i plugged in my charger.. then boom I open the lid.. and everything resumed back to what it was before..WTF... I pressed and held the power button so many times.. the CD-Rom kept making the whoop sound.. I thought i turned it off/shut it down or something.. took out battery etc.. It came back alive.. then I went to sleep.. shut the lid again. I wake up this morning.. and the screen won't turn on anymore. again.. but this time is worse. I hold the power button.. to try turn it on.. the CD-Rom makes the whoop sound again but this time.. the hard drive seems like it shuts off.. it spins for like 2 secs and it stops.. I pressed/held power buttons several times.. but this time hard drive won't keep spinning (yesterday's problem.. the hard drive still kept spinning)...

MY COMPUTADORA >< =:):)(

8. appleaphid macrumors newbie

Macbook pro support/exchange program

You guys might want to checkout this apple webpage:
    http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/macbookpro.html

It seems there was enough complaints that they acknowledge the problem! Can't tell you how this works, 'cause I had my logic board replaced the first week I got the computer (glitches).

good luck!

ps Make sure you have backups; when I was a the store, the person beside me lost all his stuff because of a misunderstanding about whether they could reformat his drive :eek:

9. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. Maineiac macrumors newbie

Had the same happen to my MBP 15". About 6 months prior it got knocked off the coffee table, leaving it with a bent right corner on the case, so I knew figured Apple wouldn't repair it for free.

Having re-flowed a few ibooks before to fix a similar issue, I took it apart, brought it down to the workshop and gave it a go. Heat gun, Aluminum Foil, Digital thermometer, etc.

Display problem solved.

In the process I cleaned the chips of the old thermal paste and re-applied. The application from the factory was lackluster to say the least....it's no wonder it overheated.

11. decoy7 macrumors newbie

sounds like the symptoms of a Logic Board failure as the problem has been intermittent, i had mine replaced by Apple free of charge last week after leaving it sitting in my wardrobe for a year not wanting to pay for a new Logic Board.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

book a Genius Bar appointment, let them know you suspect it's the Logic Board failure as mentioned in the article above and they should be able to run a test to confirm that is the problem and then proceed to replace your Logic Board.

on a side note, i've heard of lots of people having theirs replaced more than once, my board is a Revision 2 that's been redesigned as a result of the fault and shouldnt fail again, not sure everyone else was getting redesigned boards fitted so enquire about this.