Macbook Pro Screensaver & Pane Causing Very High CPU & Temps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bazzy, May 25, 2012.

1. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

I got a brand new 17" UMBP last week with Lion. Yesterday, I had to go away from the unit for a short time & when I got back to it there was a screensaver running. As soon as I got close to the Mac, I noticed that the fans were running at very high speed & the laptop was very hot.

I have Menumeters installed in the menubar & the CPU's were all running at full with very high temps. As soon as the unit came out of the screensaver, everything started to go back to normal.

I went into system preferences to the screensaver pane & just by going there, the CPU's start going crazy, temps keep rising & fans soon start to kick in after a while - this is without engaging a screensaver test. I tried this a number of times with exactly the same results.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening & how it can be resolved? One does not need to have any app running at all. I would also be grateful if some other Lion users can see if this is happening on their UMBP's?

Many Thanks,

Bazzy!

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

If you just got it, might want to head it in for a check up and see what they have to say about it. Or return it and wait for new models to come out :)

I have personally never had this issue but sometimes I get similar symptoms.... Lion really is annoying :)

3. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Ironically, this was an Apple supplied replacement under Applecare for a June 2010 model!!

Bazzy!