MacBook Pro Screw into Screw Slot help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GeekOFComedy, Jun 20, 2009.

1. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

So I recently saw my MacBook Pro casing lifting up and when I lifted up to look inside I saw the screw is attached to nothing. So I went on google and looked up the shell and there should be a slot where the screw on the left hand side screws into. I'm taking my Mac into a Apple Authorized Reseller to put a 500GB HDD and might ask them to fix it. Will they charge me as they charged me bloody 800 Bucks to replace a monitor and getting the hard drive done will cost around €260. So do you think they will fix it for free? Here are some pictures. Also I have Apple Care

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. qpid macrumors regular

Hmm the best way to fix that is going to be to get a new top case from the reseller and have it installed, they likely will charge you for it and that part goes for over $100, easily more. Plus their labor :(

3. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ohh thats just great. My mum is gonna freak out. We had to go through our insurance to get the display fixed As I couldn't afford it.

EDIT: I ebayed the top case and it's only around 20-40 bucks?

4. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Little kick to add. Also My wi-fi turns off sometimes maybe every 2-3 hours until i restart as well.

5. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I had the same exact part on my old MBP break the exact same way. I cut a nice thin strip of packing tape to hold it together until I can afford to replace the top case. It's really not a bad job, and you can replace the HD at the same time. ifixit.com has a nice guide.

6. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea my mom will notice. So far she didn't thankfully the loosing of it isn't to wide up. So whats up with my wi-fi