MacBook Pro Security

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Everingham.Curt, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Everingham.Curt macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded my laptop to a 2013 macbook pro (retina display). While on the customization page, I noticed a warning that both RAM and SSD are built-in, and cannot be modified later. Unless I am mistaken, this means that RAM and SSD cannot be removed/exchanged by anyone (because they are a part of the logic board), which could have some interesting effects on security.

For example, an existing firmware password could be reset by removing the RAM. This is not something to worry about if RAM is part of the logic board.

Previous models had removable storage media. Security measures, such as simple user permissions, did very little to help secure sensitive data. Someone with physical access could simply remove the boot device and access its' contents using a different computer. Now that the boot device is integrated into the logic board, accessing it from a different computer is not really an option

I did not readily find any information regarding the impacts that these hardware changes could have on security. I am interested to hear what other people's thoughts are about this, especially from security experts!

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

This has been discussed lots on here.

The RAM cannot be removed and the SSD can be removed.

The ram is soldered, the SSD is just a blade proprietary style Apple uses.

You won't be able to do the security reset by removing the RAM.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This really has not been an issue for a couple years now even with removable RAM and drives. The firmware password can no longer be reset by removing RAM. Then use Lion or Mountain Lions full disk encryption Filevault2, and you drive data is secure.