Macbook Pro Sept 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by QueenofRandom, Jun 12, 2012.

1. QueenofRandom macrumors newbie

So my Mac is getting on a bit now in computer years anyway, and it is running a bit slow. I have upgraded the RAM, and it still takes a while on start up etc.

Looking at my options, thinking the moving my hard drive to the optical drive, and installing an SSD for my main boot drive route. My questions are as follows

1. What is the chance I completely destroy my machine? I haven't done any modding on a Mac before, and the only other computer in the house is a 2002 Dell that still runs XP (what an OS haha!)
    2. Is it that difficult? I don't mind having to spend a few hours on it at all, but realistically is it plausible for me to be able to do this as a novice?
    3. Am I better off just buying a whole new machine? I think this is a no as everything works great anyway, it's just speed.

Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you can follow instructions, you'll be fine. Very little chance you'll damage anything.
    There are detailed instructions posted all over the web. Just search for "optibay".
    That's up to you to decide, but your MBP can run just fine. There are also some software things you can do to improve performance:

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

3. cathyy macrumors 6502a

I have a 2008 Feb MBP and I can tell you that as long as there's no actual hardware problem, then keep using it. I do constant reformats on my computer at least once a year (I use Windows) and it's extremely snappy and fast. I still run games on it very often (Guild Wars 2, League of Legends, Mass Effect 3, Torchlight 2, DotA 2) and it's continuing to serve me very well.

Now chances of messing things up is very slim as long as you have the following:

a) Basic computer knowledge on how to change parts
    b) Follow a guide on iFixIt or something on how to dismantle it
    c) Be careful not to break anything

What I'd suggest to you first is to just do a basic reformat and reinstall of your Mac OS X. If you wish, you can try changing to a faster hard drive and see if you're content with the speed. I wouldn't be so quick to suggest trying to OptiBay as of yet as it's much harder and you're required to open up your entire Mac to fix it.

Reinstalling OS - Difficulty: 2/10
    Changing HDD - Difficulty: 1/10
    Using the OptiBay - Difficulty: 8/10

4. QueenofRandom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies! I have some basic computer knowledge and helped with upgrading parts on a PC before, so I feel fairly confident.

I'm due a clean up so I shall do that first and see how fast that speeds things up and make updating parts a longer term project.

Maybe not as difficult as I first thought woo!