MacBook Pro - serious lightleak

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XboxMySocks, Dec 22, 2012.

1. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I made a thread about this before, and garnered no responses. But I'm seriously wondering what I can do to get rid of this - computer is ruined by it IMO.

[​IMG]

2. efirmage macrumors member

Well assuming you're within your one year warranty, take it to a retail store!

3. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Is there nothing else I can do to fix this? Really don't feel like having the computer away for an extended period of time

4. lightz39 macrumors regular

A week or two is an extended period of time?

5. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

If you're a student, yes it is

6. boto macrumors 6502

boto

It's winter break so why don't you have time...? I'm sure you have 2 weeks to spare and the repair won't even take a week to complete. My rMBP screen replacement took only 3-5 days from dropping off to receiving it (I had two repairs since I didn't accept an LG panel for my 1st repair).

7. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

If its not a BTO system, i'd do a TM backup, insist that you need a machine for work and ask for a replacement.

8. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

are you serious?

are you kidding me? you "really don't feel like having the computer away for an extended period of time"? you mean you have tolerated this inferior screen for how long? then just don't bother and don't do anything then. when your car is breaking down and the headlights are not working, you'll just drive it in the blizzard because you can't be bothered to have a competent mechanic get it back on the road so you don't ummm needlessly KILL someone?

pffft, why are people buying these expensive machines when clearly no one is displaying any commitment to taking care of these things and rushing it back to the stores for repair. everyone wants a quick fix or home remedy it seems, if there is a problem, by the time you post it online it has already gotten WAY worse.

all respects ^_^

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's a hardware problem. There's nothing you can do aside from have it replaced. If you get a do it yourself kit, it will void any existing warranty and set you back several hundred. It shouldn't take long. I'd really take it in as soon as possible so that you can get it back and test it before classes resume.

10. lightz39 macrumors regular

I was a student. When I didn't have access to my computer the computer lab at our college had 30 brand new imacs waiting to be used. A lot of fond memories staying up until 4am working on projects with close friends there.

11. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Alright man, thank you very much for your input. I will see what can be done, I appreciate it :)

Yeah we have desktops at the school which can be used but I'm currently at home and a fair distance away so gah.

Not sure why the other guy took my dislike of having my computer away from me for more than a few days as a personal attack against him and his family, but yeah.

I'm not sure why it's so bad to you that I'm simply looking for a manner of which to remedy the situation before taking it into the Apple store, thus saving me and Apple valuable time. I wouldn't take it in saying 'the cookies on my computer don't work' only to have them delete the cookies and then send me on my way when it works again. Why would I take it in and make it Apple's problem if it's something I could deal with? I was just trying to make sure there was nothing I could do to fix it. Jees.

12. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Many things you can't fix yourself.

Very few people are knowledgeable to fix such specific issues such as this which obviously needs to be taken in. Why should anyone care about Apple's time and energy? They don't care about the workers in China, so why should you care about a multi-billion dollar company takes time to fix your consumer gadget issues? That isn't very proactive nor very mature thinking at all.

Unless this computer is stolen and you're afraid to be caught if you brought it into the store where then the serial no. is scanned that this mac has been reported?

Just speculating because, why wouldn't a regular and potentially intelligent human being not take the mac in to repair? Why would someone be so stubborn and so willing to suffer with an inferior screen for so long when it is all so needless suffering?

Very curious ^_^

13. Untethered macrumors newbie

Untethered

This isn't what you think bro.

This isn't a light leak. If it were, there wouldn't be such interesting details. This has to do with the fact your screen is messed up.

(Shortest reply I ever posted!):rolleyes:

14. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Are you kidding me? You're calling me a thief? What the hell? I have owned several MacBooks, all legally purchased and registered through Apple and all have AppleCare on them. I was simply wondering if there was another method to fix this that I didn't know about so I didn't have to be separated from the machine for a long period of time. I have NO idea why the **** you are trying to paint me as a thief or criminal. How horrendously insulting after I simply asked how I could possibly remedy an issue that had arisen with my computer.

Jesus christ, since when is 'not wanting to be separated from a work machine' on par with 'being a criminal'? This forum is turning into trolls

15. lightz39 macrumors regular

Too be fair that's the first thing I thought of as well. (Broken screen, unwillingness to get it replaced for free)They went a little overboard. Your best bet is to take it in though. You'll be much happier in the end.

16. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I will. There was no unwillingness, simply a desire to see if there was anything I could do that perhaps I had overlooked (I've taken dozens of computers and iPhones apart)

17. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

sorry

i didn't mean to say you were a thief i understand your case..
    i just say things sometimes how i feel i don't hold back i don't have an edit button in my mind sometimes

^_^

i am always curious how i can do my own fixes and upgrades
    that is why i have the 17"MBP

all the BEST !

18. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Ohhh for God's sake, man! Take this thing to the Retail Store, come on!

Let me ask you: you don't have that ammount of money to waste, as a student you are, right? So it would be less "pocket-painful" if you take to an Apple Store or buy brand new computer?

For the love of God... this machine is crying for help, I can hear here in my house. Stop the pain!

19. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Hahaha I will, I'm sorry. I just didn't know if maybe there was something simple I was overlooking :) cheers mate

20. Brettka7 macrumors regular

Where do you live? I took my 2 month old MBP to The Mac Guys in Costa Mesa, CA to have my hinge replaced, which included the entire display assembly. They are an Apple Authorized Service Provider (I think thats the name Apple gives their authorized repair places), so they did my warranty work in a few hours. Dropped it off in the afternoon, picked it up at 6 PM.

21. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Canada. Third world services lmao

22. Brettka7 macrumors regular